Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Glowing or light-up discs/balls?

661 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Dan80 
#1 ·
I play a lot of disc and fetch with my dog but since I live at a high latitude it can sometimes be pitch black by 5:30-6p these days. I still get my dog out for exercise and he has no problem sniffing out a toy in the dark. But he has problems tracking it as it's thrown when it's a really dark night. I guess the problem is more the disc (silent, can't track it, flies far) rather than the ball (can hear it bounce, no issues).

I've never owned a glowing or light-up toy. If you've tried them, do dogs actually see them better? And if you have any recommended toys, please let me know! My dog is a super strong jawed Dutch shepherd who is intense about his toys, so anything with cheap plastic or rubber won't hold up. We typically play with competition grade discs, Chuck-it balls, and ball-on-a-rope toys that the 'police and protection dog' community love. I use Chuckit discs sometimes (the foamy ones) but they will last a couple months with regular use.

#2 ·
I have had a couple of dog balls that flash when they bounce. The one they particularly liked, the other they just like okay. I think it was just more ball preference more than the fact that it lit up. But they definitely can see that it flashes. The disadvantage of this type of flashing ball is that it only flashes for a set amount of time (30 seconds maybe). So if your dog doesn't get the ball by the time it stops, it will be hard to find again. You might be better off going with something that glows in the dark.

#3 ·
I wonder if they still make the Fetch-n-Flash ball? It reacted to motion by blinking, and after stopping, would continue flashing for several minutes.

#4 ·
I have found JW Pet toys to stand up reasonably well to Eva's chew and they have a glow in the dark line

Zogoflex has a glow disc, free one-time replacement to try it.

Chuck-It has a ball that whistles when it flies, doesn't solve the finding in the dark aspect but easier to target.

If you are playing in a private yard, motion sensor flood lights can be reasonably priced and since they add security, landlords also tend to like them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.