Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Gizmo was attacked.

993 views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  ThoseWordsAtBest 
#1 ·
We just got home from the e-vet.. My little Gizmo was attacked by our neighbor's pitbull in our front yard. He has four stitches, and one of those super cute e-collars..:rolleyes: The owner was really compliant and paid for everything, sat at the e-vet for hours with us..and so on.. but I don't know if I should have done more. We've photographed the wound..but do I need to file a report with animal control? I didn't because she was so compliant, and I don't want anything done to her dog..

#3 ·
She let her dog out to use the bathroom and stood on her back porch..She said he usually comes back when she calls him, but this time he didn't.. My fiance had Gizmo outside, on leash for potty time, but the neighbors kids were playing with him..so my fiance had his back to the oncoming dog. He said the next thing he knew, he saw the dog with Giz in his mouth, and that he was literally thrown into the air. She ran over to try to stop it, another neighbor from two houses down was able to grab the other dog and hold it back while he got a literally screaming Gizmo in the house...and I ran out and checked him over good and found the 2 inch laceration on his little butt butt. She came over and apologized profusely, we contacted an e-vet..and she came with us, in our car, sat with us through the whole waiting..and paid for everything...

So I don't know if I should take further action, or wait...or what..

It's also not the first time he's been loose.. I just worry about the next dog..you know? Not too mention that we were lucky it happened to Gizmo, and not to Roxy..

#4 ·
I guess it would depend on what kind of relationship you have with your neighbor. If you're comfortable in talking to them about the incident, to find out what kind of assurances they will make to prevent it form happening again, I'd do that to preserve the neighborly vibe. If not, ask a neighbor to do it. If not then, report the incident to animal control. Animal control should approach them either by letter or in person to tell them the incident was reported anonymously.

#5 ·
Kind of depends.

Did she learn her lesson from being irresponsible? (especially with this breed, we don't need more of them, but that is besides the point) Will she keep the dog leashed/contained for potty. Or will she continue to repeat the same mistake until it happens next time and maybe someone does call animal control. Gizmo could have been killed if it had gone just a little differently. In the situation where she took responsibility and learned from her lesson I wouldn't feel the need to report it to animal control.

If she doesn't still care to be more responsible and will still let the dog run loose I would report it to animal control. Even though she did the right thing that really doesn't matter if she won't change. Because had you called AC right away more then likely she would have had to pay and if not you have a good case to win in court.

So I suppose talk to her like CP said, I really would have done that to begin with if you haven't. It could be Gizmo again next time as you never know. Or some other dog could be killed by her dog. If you do see the dog out again loose call AC and most certainly report what happened. I hate that it is a Pit Bull because we don't need more reports of them attacking other dogs but the Pit could easily do the same thing again (dog of any breed could), nothing good will come of the owner being irresponsible.

#6 ·
I would write them a letter/email or even talk to them
Dear so and so..
"thank you for being so compliant about the incident, it was very nice of you to wait with us and come with us to the vets, but id like to talk about how we can make sure it never happens again.
I love my dogs very much, and If this ever happens again, We might not be so lucky.
Please, keep your dog on a leash and under control when hes outside, or build a fence around your front yard, it would ensure that something like this never happens again. I would not feel comfortable living next door with your dog allowed to be off leash in your front yard, please remember that my dog was the one leashed and on our own property.

thank you,
____________ "

or something like that

#8 ·
i, too, like the letter idea, but i would keep out any "judgemental" stuff such as the last 2 lines....i'm sure this neighbour already feels bad enuff or they wouldn't have been so compliant....

maybe, rather than a letter, talk to them in person and then the conversation can go from there.....

#10 ·
It's not about being judgemental - it's about making sure there's a written record of what happened without getting animal control involved. Making the neighbor sign/initial an affadavit is probably not a good way to keep things civil; a letter recounting the event, with no return letter disputing it, implies they accept the events as written.

#9 ·
I would personaly talk to her, especially since she went with you to the vets and everything! Seems like she really did feel bad. Just talk to her nicely and say all everything that you would put in a letter! I bet she would understand!

#12 ·
I wasn't trying to sound antagonistic. but I wasn't there, but if it was my leashed dog on my property that got attacked by some loose dog, I would want to make it VERY clear that SOMETHING HAS to be done. Their dog couldve killed hers and they are damn lucky the damage was minor! Its great that instead of taking the "well..these are dogs. w/e it happens" attitude that they went so far to make sure your dog was OK. but i would want to make it clear that something needs to be done.. either keep that dog leashed or get a fence. then again, I wasn't there, maybe If i was and I knew them the letter would've been less harsh

#13 ·
Was the Pit seriously "attacking" your dog, was it just trying to play - but too roughly? If it was the former, I'd do whatever it takes to get it fenced in, muzzled, whatever. I'd be paranoid to ever let my dogs outside when the vicious dog next door can literally run into your yard and rip into them. I wouldn't even have wasted my time coming onto this forum to ask if I should do anything about it.

I'm guessing you wouldn't either, so I'm also guessing it was the latter. The pit was just trying to play, but got too rough. In that case, I'd personally probably do the "anonymous tip" thing. The issue is certain to be dealt with, and you avoid any antagonism with the neighbors. Who knows, if you try to confront them yourself, they might just assure you it won't happen again.

#15 ·
I would find some time to talk to her. Thank her for being responsible as far as paying for the Vet, ect. Suggest a 10 or 20 foot lead for her dog. Tell her you know dogs aren't robots, but your dog is just to small and fragile to take chances with. See where I'm going with this? Be firm, but try to keep the goodwill.:)

#16 · (Edited)
I would also just talk to her and ask if she is planning to tie him or otherwise contain him from now on. After talking with her and expressing you would feel most comfortable with her dog on a tie out or in a pen, if you then see the dog loose outside again, i would call animal control about the loose dog (do you have leash laws?), not about this incident.

#18 ·
I agree with every one suggesting to talk to her. Hopefully she has learned a lesson in why we have leash laws. It may have been come as a shock to her that her dog attacked another dog and maybe you can suggest to her that now is the time to become proactive before it happens again. We've had a few attacks from loose dogs and this is the first time I've heard of the other dogs owner taking responsibility and paying for the vet care.

I hope Gizmo doesn't suffer any long term effects from this. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.