Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, I've been looking for a small-breed dog for several months. I am not particular about the breed really, and was mostly looking at Pomeranians, Papillons, Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers, Toy Poodles, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Shih Tzus, Rat Terriers, Italian Grey Hounds, or a mix of any of them, and more. So, as you can see, I am not picky about breeds. Also, I wasn't looking for a purebred at all. Yet, here I am, about half a year later, without the little dog I wanted so badly. The reason for this is because the prices for these dogs (in my area at least, and in surrounding states) have gone up to ridiculous heights. The most expensive was about six hundred for a Shih Tzu mongrel from a rescue. And, as if the horrible prices aren't enough, they require an application to be filled out. Now, I know it is actually a good thing if they ask you to fill out an application, but again, like the prices, the applications have become ridiculous. They ask the most irrelevant questions, most of which don't have any significance at all to adopting a dog. I also find that many of them discriminate against potential dog owners, as they require the person to have a completely fenced-in yard, or a dog run, or a number of other things. I mean, it would be understandable if the dog in question had a habit of running off, but they require these things even if you are looking to adopt a baby puppy, or an old dog who would rather sleep than run off into the neighbors' garden.

So, after months of searching, I finally gave up on having the little dog I wanted, and started searching for larger dogs (I do love larger dogs, but I wanted to have a smaller dog so I could take her/him places with me, which I have never been able to do before). I figured a larger dog would have a more reasonable price, but I was wrong. I couldn't find a single one for less than 450 dollars, (and remember, I was looking at shelter dogs) even if they were mongrels. Plus, they too had the outlandish applications and requirements as well. I imagine it would be easier to adopt a child! Some of the shelters even required monthly updates, via telephone or e-mail, for the dog. And, it added to my frustration when I would send in one of their ridiculous applications, and they refused to let me adopt because I was too far (I don't see how an hour away is too far).

Now, just a year ago, I had no problem adopting a dog. The prices were much more reasonable, and the applications actually made sense and didn't take hours to fill out. I don't know, maybe I'm just making a useless rant, but it seems very ridiculous to me. I'd like some answers: Why is it so very hard to adopt a dog nowadays? They treat these wonderful creatures like objects, instead of the wonderful individuals that they are.

EDIT
This goes for cats as well...​

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Have you tried just going to a pound rather than rescues? A city shelter would probably be easier to adopt from.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I have no words of encouragement really. But I do understand your frustrations. In my area I dealt with several shelters and breed specific rescues when I started looking for my dogs. The shelters had this killer little system that labeled you by a colored dot on your application, then you could only ask about dogs in the shelter with that particular color code. I was rated "purple", low energy, laid back, homebody lifestyle and all sorts of other crap that made no sense. That rating meant that they would not let me adopt an Alaskan Malamute or any mix thereof. As anyone here should be able to tell you, I am very well suited to that breed. I won't even get into the rescues, I'm already feeling a little flustered and this happened nearly three years ago! Finally ended up sifting through craigslist for three of my dogs. Just take a deep breath, forget about it for a couple of weeks and things will work out. They always do.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Where are you located? I agree that many rescues have crazy adoption processes, but remember that most do the best they can to do what is right by the dog. County shelters are generally not so strict or expensive. Maybe you could look into it? Remember, good things come to those who wait. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
When we decided to get a dog we looked at several rescues too and didn't even get a call back because we lived in an apartment. Even though we had a letter from our landlord stating dogs were fine, a letter from our vet recommending us. We ended up just going to local shelter and got our lovely Lloyd.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Have you tried just going to a pound rather than rescues? A city shelter would probably be easier to adopt from.
This was my exact thought. I've never seen prices as high as you're stating at any city/county shelter anywhere. I've looked through literally hundreds of petfinder ads, and never seen more than 300-400 for a city shelter. 75% of them are more in the 200$ range.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that really sounds ridiculous, Harrise. I've never heard of that before. I hope that never happens to me, I love malamutes and huskies. Anyway, I haven't looked at many rescues, but mostly at shelters all over the state (which is Michigan by the way). I've gotten the same thing from everywhere. I guess this kind of problem drives people to buy from pet stores, where many puppy-mill dogs are sold.​

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would go to a shelter. That's where I got Harley for $60.00. That covered the first vet visit, first shots, and to get him fixed when I take him to the vet. all I had to do was sign and agreement that I will get him fixed within so many months. All they ask is that you take proper care of your new dog. :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
So the first 3 rescues I've looked at in Michigan: 195$, 150$, 200$. You obviously aren't looking hard enough.

Granted you might be in a different location, I started my search in Lansing.

edit -- next two shelters, 150$ and 150$.

next shelter, 95$ for all dogs under 6 years.

Next: 150$ in eaton rapids.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The prices sound strange...I too had trouble adopting from rescues, issues of not having a fence at the time (even my local shelter required a fence), and two kids under age 10, despite the fact that I already owned two dogs of the breed I was trying to adopt. I finally found a rescue that would work with me, I don't know if you're interested in aussies, but ARPH aussie rescue had no problem with the fence or kids issue and their fees, in GA anyway, are $200 fully vetted and neutered. I also adopted an aussie from a shelter an hour away in a rural area with little to no rules...she was $40, but included no vetting and she was so sick that I spent $300 the first week at the vet and I still have to get her spayed...so in reality she's ended up costing quite a bit, worth it, but still something to consider when you see low fees. Anyway, try private rehomes through craigslist or something similar, or rural shelters.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Wow.. that's really pathetic that they are trying to charge that much for a mutt.. Not to mention your doing the shelter a favor by adopting the dog.. Is there any reason to charge that much???? We got our Purebred Lhasa Apso from a BREEDER for $350. My sister-in-law got her purebred cocker from a different breeder for the same price! If shelters are charging this much, it's no wonder BYB's are doing so well.. I would never pay that much for a shelter mutt! :-O Perhaps you should check out petfinder.com? You may be able to find some more reasonably priced dogs on there.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Wow.. that's really pathetic that they are trying to charge that much for a mutt.. Not to mention your doing the shelter a favor by adopting the dog.. Is there any reason to charge that much???? We got our Purebred Lhasa Apso from a BREEDER for $350. My sister-in-law got her purebred cocker from a different breeder for the same price! If shelters are charging this much, it's no wonder BYB's are doing so well.. I would never pay that much for a shelter mutt! :-O Perhaps you should check out petfinder.com? You may be able to find some more reasonably priced dogs on there.
They aren't. Look at my previous two posts. I have NO idea where the poster got those numbers. I've looked at nearly every shelter in Michigan on petfinder now, and there isn't a single one over 300 dollars. The vast majority (80%ish) are 200$ or less. Some as low as 95$.

As far as the applications go, I've looked at probably half a dozen of the shelters in Michigan's apps, and haven't seen a single one that is hard to understand or over the top.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I can completely sympathize with you!

Last December, as my 20th birthday present, my mother took me around to petshops... I too was looking for a Chihuahua... I've been dying for a Chihuahua for years now, however, I'm more of the type of person that actually goes by whatever strikes my eye.

However, the petshops in my area at least, are f***** up! The prices for MIXED breeds are ridiculous! They would have a dog that looked like a Pap, with a picture on the acrylic window that has a picture of a Pap with a plus sign and a picture of a Shih-Tzu, then call it something ridiculous like, Shih-Pap or something then post $800. -.- Are you serious? All the puppies were like that... Well damn, I can take a dog, pick out two dominant breeds and give it a ridiculous name. Don't get me wrong, I believe Schnoodles and Doodles are every much of a real breed nowadays and I wouldn't expect to pay anything less than $500 or so... But there was no way they should get away with hustling people like that...

So I tried PetFinder and found several reputable foster homes in my area, like several others... The applications, the fees, and the fact they refused to home a dog if it didn't have a backyard... Are you telling me a dog can't be happy and healthy with being walked on a leash in an apartment complex! BS!

Luckily I finally found an Animal Shelter thirty minutes away... I found my Donatello! (A Chih-Mix) : P lol! For ninety bucks total! It was thirty to adopt him and sixty for his vet visit, being fixed and getting shots, yadda yadda... That was a standard fee for all dogs. They had an application as well, but it was just the front and back of one page and was just basically wanting to know where I lived, how old I was, yadda yadda...

It's getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Strange...I guess it depends on the shelter/dog though. We got our collie for $400 on Petfinder--a little steep, but it included her spaying (more expensive since she was an adult), shots, vet visits, etc., and she is a very pretty purebred. There was an application but it didn't ask ridiculous questions, and you didn't have to fill out most of it if you didn't want to.

Like others have said, check your local shelter. We got a little kitten from there for $50, and it included his neutering.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i havent seen prices that high in the shelters/rescues around here too. at least not 'regularly'. i have seen some that are that high but its mostly 150 -300 is what i've seen. try craigslist? a lot of people try to find their pets good homes for whtever reasons and will only want 50 dollars or none at all.

harrise, that sucks you had to go through that. i would be ticked off if i was trying to adopt a dog and they restricted the type i could get. do they really think people are going to WANT to adopt a dog that they cant even choose?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Check Craigslist for rehomes. There are often puppies that people have found/opps litters, etc. that are on there, as well.

We got Pepper for $50 (with shots) on CL, and we got her as a puppy. (we took her home at 9 weeks)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No need to be rude... I posted the prices of the dogs I was looking at last month. I'm sure there are many dogs for about 200, or even cheaper. However, when I looked at petfinder, the dogs had ridiculous prices. Although, I did glance at petfinder again last week, and I about had a stroke when I saw a dog for 150, but of course, I called and the dog was already gone. I looked again just a few hours after I posted this, and I still didn't see any young dogs that were under 300. Again, I could understand that if they were already FIXED, but many of them weren't. And, I do love Aussies, I have one myself. I wanted to adopt one, but when I called, they said he was 400 dollars. He wasn't even a purebred.​

1 - 20 of 53 Posts