Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else has similar situations?

Soro was raised with pretty strict rules and as a result was very respectful of boundaries and also did not beg for people food ever. This means he won't cross a barrier even if it's something he can clearly jump over (like 2 feet of cardboard), and his default for when we got ready for dinner was to go to his own bed.

Over the last few months/years, I've slacked some but more than anything my partner has been gleefully undoing my work. I erected a short cardboard barrier to keep Soro in the kitchen and my partner thought it would be funny to tell Soro to jump over it. Now if I put up any barrier, he will jump over it if it is within his means. First time in 9 years.
Soro's been getting a lot of people food at the table, so now he intently sits there and stares, and usually gets something. We were eating chicken wings while watching a movie the other day and Soro was told to go away, but sat at that distance and grumbled and made other silly noises the entire time. Humanizing it, I said he was "throwing a tantrum" :)

No complaints. I find it all very amusing and I know how to train him out of it if I needed to (well, not the short barriers thing). But it's crazy how his training was 'undone' so quickly.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
That's funny :)

I think behaviours that come naturally are always going to be more desirable for a dog than behaviours they're taught. Self control and patience don't come naturally, but moving closer to the food does. So if he *can* get away with it, why not? :D

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. I used to be so strict with Meeko... three years later he's sitting right next to me on the couch as I eat, his eyes glued to the food or my face lol!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
staring at me while I eat is something I can't deal with. I will usually cave on a lot but I can't deal with animals, or people, in my face staring at me while I'm eating.
The deal is if you leave me alone, you might get something, and that's where the animals are now. They know to leave me alone because, I mean come on, I know they want it. Whether they're begging or not, I know they know it's there and I know they want it. So if they act like they don't, then I /might/ toss them some (usually) but if they aggravate me, they get nothing but told to go sit down.

With a hound about to come in my house, I'm going to have to be especially strict with this.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just funny to see the lightbulb go off in his head... "Oh, I CAN jump over things that are chest height!"
I am not going to allow him the day he discovers tops of counters. ::fingers crossed::

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
lol <3... when my dogs are seniors they earned the right to do what ever they want... lol lol ... and yes it makes me laugh for them being naughty as i tell the younger ones they have to follow the rules,, older ones don't have to follow the rules... when the younger ones get that old, then they can do what they want then too... but not today lol lol lol ... I really so enjoy a group of dogs....

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
It's just funny to see the lightbulb go off in his head... "Oh, I CAN jump over things that are chest height!"
I am not going to allow him the day he discovers tops of counters. ::fingers crossed::
Meeko discovered that he can climb onto the dinner table thanks to watching my cats... Now we keep the chairs pushed in at all times... Occasionally I let him up if I'm studying because if I throw a blanket on there he's just about the happiest dog ever lol.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Yup, I've had really similar experiences. When I lived in an apartment during grad school, my dogs weren't allowed to bark at anything unless it was a person standing ON my patio. Not at squirrels, not at people walking 50 feet away. They were *really* good about it and very quiet. I never had a single noise complaint filed.

I moved home one summer between apartments and all of that came undone in days. My dad had a very vocal dog who would bark at the slightest noise. Both of my dogs picked up on that and became barking maniacs. I was NEVER able to train it out of them, and had a few issues at my next apartment because of it. I was pretty unhappy about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts