Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the radar right now My dogs crates are out in the garage(they haven't been using them) so she is currently hiding under the table...poor girl. I dont have a thundershirt or anything but does anyone have a good recommendation on what to do? It looks like it will be a long one. My uncle is on vacation and I don't really want to bug him unless she starts showing signs of sever distress.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't know of anything that is guaranteed to work for all dogs. A thundershirt is the closest, short of drugs, or de-sensitizing.

But here are things that I've read:
1. I think the thundershirt came from something that Temple Grandin wrote. So, you might try a dog coat or a sweater, and tie a loose sash around her chest.
2. Turid Rugaas suggests loud, dramatic, repeated yawnings.
3. My dog isn't thunderphobic, but he doesn't like firecrackers. In his case, he has trouble with noise that he can't see, so if I take him for a walk where he can see things, he barks less.
4. Another option is to put the dog in an inside room with loud music or a loud TV (if the power doesn't go out) to help drown out the thunder.

Hope one of those gives you an idea...

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
My dog used to be terrified of storms but somehow he just stopped caring :-/. I don't really know why.

I know people had the idea that it's the static in the air that affects dogs more than the noise. I'm not convinced that was the case with my dog but going for car drives did keep him calm. The car acts like a conductive cage so the inside isn't affected by the electric field outside. I guess you could try building some kind of conductive metal cage fort around her lol.

Mostly I think I just wrapped him up in my heavy comforter on my bed and I just chilled next to him doing whatever.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I turned the TV on and it seemed to help a bit. She is now laying by the couch. bentley is throwing toys on her trying to get her to play but she doesn't want to! The storm is starting to move out now but every once and while when it thunders it startles her. She slicks her ears back and looks around like "what was that? where did it come from?"

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If your dog is healthy, not on other meds, not pregnant or elderly...Pick up some melatonin. Dosage is 1 mg per 20 lbs up to 3 mg. Giant breeds can have up to 6 mg. Give it to her at the first sign of a storm. Be aware that Melatonin comes in 1, 3, 5, 6 mg pills and capsules. Get the pills so you can split them in half if needed to adjust dose. recommended by vets. no side effects.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thnx I will tell my uncle today when he comes and gets Ginger. because I think there is another coming in.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hammie was wary of thunderstorms and fireworks at first, and we'd just sit with him and every time there was a thunderclap or a firework (depending on the situation) he'd get a treat. Now he doesn't even seem to notice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts