Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to teach my 13 week old Boxer mix "Rocky" how to give me paw. Earlier I believe he was doing it, but out of maybe 30 or more times doing it with him he has only done it twice. I say "Gimme Paw." and grab his paw to show him, then give him a treat, and give him a chance to do it, he's just not getting it! Am I doing something wrong? I don't know why he is not getting it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You're asking a lot of a dog when you are wanting them to make the connection that what you're doing to them is what they are supposed to do without your molding them into position. I suggest you try shaping instead. Learn more about shaping at http://www.clickertraining.com The book "Right on Target!" by Mandy Book & Cheryl Smith is also a wonderful resource. You'll be amazed at what you can train your dog to do this way, and how quickly you can get gimme paw and other behaviors on cue if you break them down so your dog can learn to do it while having fun and without manipulation.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I feel your frustration :)

How Wally FINALLY got it was if I lightly touched the back of his paw long enough, he'll lift it (probably to get away from the touching lol) then I c/t.

I kept doing this and eventually he saw my hand going to his paw and he lifted it before it got there. He got a few treats for that.

From there I just kept doing that.

Then I named it. I said "paw" then moved my hand down. He lifted it and got a c/t.

Just kept doing that to where he figured out "paw" means he might as well lift up a paw.

Then whenever he offered it, he got rewarded for it to really build in the behavior.

I guess I did it backwards - sorta-kinda molded him, then used shaping to encourage him to use and offer his new behavior.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not all dogs learn at same rate. 3 dogs we adopted from a shelter, the samoyed mix and siberian husky mix learned shake after 1-3 trys. While the maltese mix took over a month.

·
Registered
630 Posts
When I wanted to teach Marley to shake a paw I would shake his paw and keep saying "shake" while I continually shook it. To get him to give me his paws so I could wipe them down I would say "paw" and touch his paw that I wanted. When he would do it I would give him a treat. Im by no means a trainer or experienced. This is just what worked for my dog. It took him a bit to get it but he eventually did.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Ecross, you need to stop saying "gimme paw" so often. In fact, at this stage you shouldn't be saying "gimme paw" at all. Right now, the sound "gimme paw" means nothing to your dog. You should add the cue only after the dog is reliably offering the behaviour, either without being asked to or in response to a hand signal.

Try this instead. Take your puppy into a room without your older dog around. Ask the puppy to sit. If he does, say "Yes!" the instant his butt hits the ground and give him a treat. I noticed you aren't reinforcing for his sits -- you should still be doing that, especially since he hasn't quite got them down pat yet. Part of the reason why he keeps jumping up at you is because he doesn't know what else to do. When you reward him for sitting, it shows him what you want -- and that means when he wants to earn a treat, he's more likely to sit to try to get it than to jump at you.

Kneel down in front of him with the treats in your hand. Then wait. The minute he moves one of his paws -- even if he just shifts it, or raises it slightly off the ground -- say "Yes!" and reward him with a treat. If you've been waiting for too long -- and be patient -- you can try tickling the back of his paw to get him to move it. Repeat this several times and eventually he will start realising that you want him to move his paw. When he realises this, he will start moving his paw in an increasingly pronounced way. Keep rewarding for the paw movement, with special rewards (even more treats, or tastier treats) for paw movements that are closer to what you eventually want.

And remember, throughout all this, never say "paw"! Say "paw" only when he is reliably offering you his paw in hopes of getting a treat.

There are a lot of training principles in this explanation that should be incorporated into all commands you teach him. I highly suggest you check out the links pamperedpumps gave you, and check out a few training books. Patricia McConnell, Stanley Coren and Pat Miller are excellent authors to check out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
For our pup, we would have her in a sit and make a fist of our hand with a treat in it and hold it under her chin at about mid chest level. No command, no touching her paw - just hold your hand there. Within seconds she would paw our hand for the treat, we would click and treat using the word "paw". She will now do both paws on command.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Easiest way, and the funniest, to show a dog how to give you his paw is this.

get a really smelly, good treat, like a hotdog, cheese. and show it to him, get him interested with it. when he goes to get it, shut ur hand, and wait. he'll figure out how to get it, and sooner or later, he'll put his paw on ur close fists. when he does this BAM treat, reward. Add to this by saying "gimmie paw" and then opening ur hand and placing the treat in the other hand.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Although you've been given a lot of advice, I just wanted to second rosemaryninja's ideas. Especially taking the other dog out of the picture, reinforcing for sit and get down there with your puppy. :)

Be patient. It looks like he's learning, you just have to get rid of the distractions and remember to reinforce anything he does for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Although you've been given a lot of advice, I just wanted to second rosemaryninja's ideas. Especially taking the other dog out of the picture, reinforcing for sit and get down there with your puppy. :)

Be patient. It looks like he's learning, you just have to get rid of the distractions and remember to reinforce anything he does for you.

Good luck!
Ditto'd. Go slow!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Although I taught Eevee to give paw with manipulation (it was a long time ago and I didn't know any other methods), I feel like now I got lucky with her. I used a different method and a clicker with Shippo:

I got him into a room where it was just us, set aside a small bowl of treats (out of his reach), and got out the clicker. I then proceeded to get him into play mode, like this:

If you watch the video, when Shippo gets playful, he starts pawing at me and waving his paws around in the air, and so I'd slip a hand under his paw and click and treat. After a few tries, had it figured out, and he was already pawing for my hand. The time it takes for the dog to figure it out depends on the individual dog of course, but that's just how I did it.

Once he was reliably putting his paw in my hand when I offered it, then I started introducing the word "Paw" as he did it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I got lucky,

I was teaching sit etc. with pinches off my sandwich I was eating and Hope got a little frustrated after I wasn't asking her for anything or giving her any food for several minutes and acted like she was going to paw at me, and I decided to teach "gimme 5" then and there. Took about 5 minutes and she does it like clockwork since then, it's her only 100% reliable command in the 6 weeks since I adopted her. ;)

Easiest time I had teaching that to any dog.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Easiest way, and the funniest, to show a dog how to give you his paw is this.

get a really smelly, good treat, like a hotdog, cheese. and show it to him, get him interested with it. when he goes to get it, shut ur hand, and wait. he'll figure out how to get it, and sooner or later, he'll put his paw on ur close fists. when he does this BAM treat, reward. Add to this by saying "gimmie paw" and then opening ur hand and placing the treat in the other hand.
Wouldn't work for Wally - he thought we were practicing Doggie Zen (which means he'll just sit and wait patiently for the treat) :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
You told Rocky to "sit," but, when Rocky did sit, you didn't praise or reward, you went immediately into asking to give paw. Confusing for Rocky, at best.
I don't think that's a problem. Often when people are training a new behavior they work from one that is already trained and add on the new behavior, without treating in between.

I watched the video and I have a suggestion. I notice that you use the same hand to reach for the paw and to give a treat. It even looks like the exact same gesture. I think it might be confusing your dog. If you think about it from his perspective, it's like your treat hand reaches down in its usual treat-giving gesture, but inexplicably there's no treat.
To fix this, I think you should try putting out your left hand and saying "paw," while having a treat ready to give him in your right hand. This would provide the additional benefit of reducing the delay between him giving the paw and receiving the treat. I noticed the one time he did give the paw, you had to stop, get a treat, and then give it to him. This interruption and delay makes conditioning a lot less effective. You can give him the treat with your right hand while still holding his paw in your left hand. I think then he will make the connection a lot better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There have been many responses but I'll still throw mine opinion in there along with what worked for me. First off watching the video you asked rocky to sit multiple times and he never did. From what I've been told and find to be true is you say the command once and make/wait for him to do what you ask. Otherwise the dog learns that does the action of sitting after you have said "sit sit sit sit sit sit" rather than sitting upon hearing you say "sit" once. Also, he sat briefly but didn't really sit or give paw and you still rewarded him, so not sure that's really teaching or helping anything.

As for what ended up working for me. I have a stubborn dachshund and this is what worked for me. I presented my left hand, palm up and said "shake". Immediately after saying shake I reach down with my right hand, grabbing his paw and placing it in my left hand. Then I actually shake it for a few seconds and give him a treat. I did have him sit first and calm down, which it seems like your dog is very excited so it could be hard. I did this probably 20 or 30 times and after a few hours the dog got it.

Hope you are having some luck with it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
shorten your command to one word like "paw" or "shake" or " high five"... too many words and too many commands at once are over taking the training.
do everything in sequence, sit, shake , down .....etc and the treat at the end of it....( expand the commands as the dog learns them ,...dont expect the dog to do all these things at once at first )
my dogs were really weird in the bathroom ... once i went in, they wanted me to pet them ...so i did... i eventually kept saying , "im done" and they knew that we were leaving the bathroom. whenever i say " im done" they leave me ...because that is what they learned.
i taught my dogs to " stay" by making them wait while i got the mail.. maybe a 20 foot distance. once they learned that short area, they applied it to longer areas.
as well, whenever i took them out of the fence, i told them "home" when i wanted them inside the fence. they immediately recognized the word "home" as being inside the fence.
each dog is different , but most are very receptive to "one word" commands.
and eventually , with repetition, they will learn more.
my llasa apsa is a BRAT but i can manipulate him by telling him that he is a Bad boy.... they understand........dont yell ,,,,,dont deny,,,, be firm and be repetitive. and ALWAYS REWARD GOOD BEHAVIOR..

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I'm not great at training......although all my dogs do "shake" with great enthusiasm. I just wanted to say that----"gimme paw" is NOT an important command and is therefore not worth getting frustrated over! It's just for fun, so don't stress to much about this one.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I don't think that's a problem. Often when people are training a new behavior they work from one that is already trained and add on the new behavior, without treating in between.
I agree and I do this all the time. However, if you watch the video, "sit" is clearly not a behaviour that is already trained. A "trained" behaviour is one that is performed 100% reliably, under stimulus control. Rocky doesn't know "sit" yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts