Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of horse enthusiasts here, so I thought I'd ask.

My nine year-old niece is an avid horse lover. She's been taking lessons for showing and barrel racing for a few years now and it's the only thing that keeps her functioning in school and at home. It's her passion (and her therapy). I want to get her something that will really encourage her to stick with it, as well as help her learn along the way.

I cannot afford anything big like a new saddle or anything of that nature, but I do want to get her something better than, say, horse earrings.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
462 Posts
How about a book or a magazine subscription. Gift certificates to the local tack shop, for extra lessons, or practice rides are always good.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Breyer's horses are great to collect......I do and I am not even a young girl anymore! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,299 Posts
If she's really into riding and showing, I'd get her a subscription to a good Western riding magazine. I know I've always enjoyed Horse and Rider. :)

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Get her a Falabella Horse. No, just kidding, but they are the smallest breed of horse there is. Anyway, the subscriptions sound nice. Or let her start a collection of glass/breyer horses. Maybe you can take her shopping somewhere and she can pick out what she wants.

My last employer barrel races, she was really good at it. Does your niece ride Quarter Horses too?

·
Registered
11,257 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,299 Posts
Helmet, boots ($60-75)
You can get boots for that price, but I've never seen quality riding boots for less than $150. And I'd never skimp on the helmet. You can get cheap ones, but they won't do the job when you actually need them. I'm not saying they're not great ideas, but to get quality show gear that will do the job, it's not cheap.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
You can get boots for that price, but I've never seen quality riding boots for less than $150. And I'd never skimp on the helmet. You can get cheap ones, but they won't do the job when you actually need them. I'm not saying they're not great ideas, but to get quality show gear that will do the job, it's not cheap.
I've seen kids boots for that; like these Ariat boots for $75 or Ariat lace-ups for $60

For helmets, a basic Troxel Schooling helmet for $30 or Slim profile more stylish youth helmet for $55

·
Super Moderator
7,299 Posts
For helmets, a basic Troxel Schooling helmet for $30 or Slim profile more stylish youth helmet for $55
I would want to see evidence that those are certified for protection in case of falls. Sadly, there are many helmets out there that are actually intended for appearance only, and don't protect. I fell into that trap when purchasing my first riding helmet, and only found out after having a bad fall. Luckily I was okay, but it could have been very, very bad for me. You have to read the fine print. In my experience, you never, ever, skimp on a riding helmet. It's too important.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I would want to see evidence that those are certified for protection in case of falls. Sadly, there are many helmets out there that are actually intended for appearance only, and don't protect. I fell into that trap when purchasing my first riding helmet, and only found out after having a bad fall. Luckily I was okay, but it could have been very, very bad for me. You have to read the fine print. In my experience, you never, ever, skimp on a riding helmet. It's too important.
SEI certified and meets ASTM F1163 specifications.

I agree that is it extremely important to wear the correct (both in type and size) protective head gear. Horseback riding is an admittedly dangerous sport.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts