Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any gift ideas for a future dog (puppy) owner? What are some must-have products?

Any recommended brands for dog crates, pee pads anything else they'll need? Assuming it would be good to throw in Bitter Apple spray, Nature's Miracle and lots of toys, of course. :)

All recommendations are welcome!

·
Registered
426 Posts
so i'm the opposite of a pragmatist at times, where I like to buy gifts for others that I know they wouldn't waste $$ on themselves. Stuff like a crate or pee pads are requirements, an owner would definitely get that themselves.

Assuming its exchangeable and you know the rough size of the dog, something like
- a bed (can't have too many of those),
- dog dedicated towels (wife won't let me use human towels on dog. no idea what a "human" towel is,
- build a flirt pole (use PVC, paracord, and a ball). Homemade, cheap, tough to buy one, but useful as all heck for tiring out dogs.
- cool looking leash, maybe one of those that go around the waist. I cobbled together one from an old luggage strap and a combo leash that broke, can't justify spending $40+ on a nice one when this works just fine, but as a gift that would be cool.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Toys are always good. Teething toys if the person is getting a puppy. Maybe a treat pouch for training? Definitely a Kong is a good gift idea too.

I like the idea above about separate towels for the dog.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would have loved to get a gift certificate to the doggie spa, or to a good dog supplies store. That way they can decide what they really need. We ended up spending a lot of money upfront on the first bath, a bed, a harness, and the food that the vet prescribed. The other things - food dishes, toys, tags, towels, baby wipes, treats - are pretty cheap and you don't have to buy ALL of them the first week.

It also depends a lot on the dog. For example my dog's brush: I had to have the groomer tell me which brush to get for his coat. Different dog, different brush. Same goes for things like beds - sizes really vary. And if it's a puppy vs. an older dog, he'll have other needs.

We are doing separate towels. Which means most of my towels have now become dog towels. I need to buy some new towels this weekend!!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I like MRVivikB's way of thinking. Maybe a few practical things, but then something more extravagant. If I were getting things for a new puppy owner, I might think about a food dispensing toy, some treats (I have a friend with a dog treat business, so I like to patronize her), and something they wouldn't necessarily buy (a gift certificate for a nice collar and/or leash is something I'd like to receive).

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you're thinking of taking your dog in the car, I'd recommend one of these Travall dog guards. You perhaps won't need it while they're a puppy, but it has really saved my car's upholstery from muddy paws. I think they also do a dog cage.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The challenge with buying toys for puppies is that they grow. I'd stay away from things that the owner will have for a long time like beds, crates, etc that people might want to pick out for themselves. Training treats, toys, etc, are pretty universal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts