Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out my 26 week old puppy has giardia! We had gone to the vet last weekend, and she had said that the diarrhea was probably just due to a sensitive stomach. Thank goodness I brought a sample in - it turns out she has giardia. :(

We got a 5-day course of Panacur, so hopefully that'll make her feel better. Should I expect symptoms to start improving soon? In addition, how soon after this 5-day course should I submit another stool sample to the vet? I understand that sometimes it takes more than one course of medication to do the trick.

Thanks in advance! I'm so sad my puppy has giardia, but I'm glad I finally know the reason why she's had such bad diarrhea.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My adult dog had giardia, the powder is very yucky so be sure to mix it with somehting really good so he will eat it all
the poop is gross, but the giardia can live in the ground.. so be sure to pick up her poop, I sprayed bleach on the area just to be sure.

the symptoms should improve soon, for my dog, it took about 7 days and she was back to normal. after about 5-7 days, your vet will probably do another fecal sample.. depending on how bad her case was either she will be fine, or they will send her home with another dose of medicine

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply! The vet gave me 5 prefilled liquid syringes, so hopefully I can squirt it in her mouth pretty quickly and then follow up with a tasty treat! :)

(Very cute picture of Kenya, by the way!!)

Oh, a quick follow-up question: I got some probiotic supplements for my puppy (thinking initially she was just having GI upset due to sensitive stomach). Is it ok to give to her while she's got the giardia? Or should I wait until the giardia resolves (or at least until she's done with the Panacur)?

Thanks in advance - wanted to ask the vet all these questions, but there were no vets available in the office when I picked up the meds this morning! :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for your reply! The vet gave me 5 prefilled liquid syringes, so hopefully I can squirt it in her mouth pretty quickly and then follow up with a tasty treat! :)

(Very cute picture of Kenya, by the way!!)

Oh, a quick follow-up question: I got some probiotic supplements for my puppy (thinking initially she was just having GI upset due to sensitive stomach). Is it ok to give to her while she's got the giardia? Or should I wait until the giardia resolves (or at least until she's done with the Panacur)?

Thanks in advance - wanted to ask the vet all these questions, but there were no vets available in the office when I picked up the meds this morning! :)
its great that ur vet gave u syringes.. mine was 5 little baggies with white powders and it was so hard to get them to eat it!

thank you about the picture :)

Im no expert, but I would hold off on the probiotics til hes over this. all the extra stuff might upset his tummy, and the treatment for giardia is already a little tough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts