Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Jet's routine puppy appointment his fecal test came back positive for giardia. He doesn't seem symptomatic. Since Cas grooms the puppy and has had occasional loose stools (I had just attributed this to stealing rich puppy food) the vet recommended treating them both with five days of panacur. I picked it up today and will give it to them with their breakfasts tomorrow.

My question is, how much of a cleaning nut do you think I need to be about this? I'm planning to wash all their bedding, toys, and dishes in hot bleachy water, and wipe down kennels and dog playpen areas with the same, at the beginning and end of treatment. But the internet appears to advocate for, like, nuking the house and yard from orbit so I guess what I'm looking for is a reality check, here.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Giardia is everywhere and is tricky to detect. Sometimes dogs with giardia have multiple tests come back negative. If I were in your shoes I'd worm the dogs but not go crazy. Literally puddles of water they drink from can have giardia. I hope your pups don't become symptomatic!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I fostered a pup with giardia. I kept a mop and a bucket of disinfectant handy and picked up and disinfected straight away after every poop. Nothing else. None of the other dogs got it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts