Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 4 month old male westie terrier and hes been diagnosed with giardia intestinal parasite 3x... hes going on his third medication b/c for some reason the other two wasnt working. the current medication he finished is drontal... ever since he started takeing it, he has been very tired.. constantly sleeping and vomited twice.. each time in the morning when he wakes up. also, he went in for his rabies/corona/distemperment shots the week before he started on the drontal. from my other research, i have realized that drontal is for medium size dogs.. and not realy for puppies especially small breed puppies.... at this poiint i dont know if i should change vets for a second opinion or not... also keep in mind, before he started drontal ... he didnt show any signs of giardia at all... he was playful, great appetite, firm stools..etc. any comments would be appreciated. i'll be takeing him to the same vet today just so he can get checked up and mybe take a blood sample...

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Get him on a good bland diet (mix of boiled chicken, brown rice and canned pumpkin (not the pie mix).

Here's my recipe

2 bone in chicken breasts or 4 boneless breast fillets (lower in fat) Boiled

1c (dry) brown rice cooked until tender (I uses a rice steamer and it takes around 25 minutes)

1/4 cup canned pumpkin

allow rice to cool, take the breasts off the bone (if they had one) and cut into managable pieces, combine with canned pumpkin.

for a small dog/ feed around a 1/4 cup 2-3 times a day, for your pup you may only need to feed a couple of Tablespoons 2-3 times a day. This recipe will probably feed him for a while (it last 3 meals for my Dobie), freeze it (in 1 cup platic storage containers) if you need so the batch doesn't go bad.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a dog who has had Giardia. The antibiotic I used is metronidazole. Trade name "Flagyl". Took about a week or so to clear up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts