Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duke was diagnosed with Giardia a week ago. He finished his antibiotics on Monday the First. If anyone has experience with this please let me know. Not to be too graphic but his poops had gotten harder, but now seem to be getting a little softer than they were when he was on the antibiotics. The vets office says to wait a week and let them know how things are going. They may give him another round of antibiotics. On a brighter note, the poop smells better :0)
He's also had quite a few pee accidents in the house, although I'm not sure this is related to the meds or the Giardia.
Has anyone had this experience with Giardia?

·
Registered
583 Posts
A foul odor is a symptom of giardia along with mucosy stool and sometimes blood. The Metronidazole drug if that is what you were given is used for giardia. The healing process may take a while to know for sure if the giardia is gone. Try feeding boiled chicken and rice for a couple of days to firm stool and help recovery. I have treated this many times with hunting dogs.
As for the pee , you need to crate dog until this under control. Out to pee often and no water 2hrs before bed. Clean all pee spots with Natures Miracle for best results.

oldhounddog

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A foul odor is a symptom of giardia along with mucosy stool and sometimes blood. The Metronidazole drug if that is what you were given is used for giardia. The healing process may take a while to know for sure if the giardia is gone. Try feeding boiled chicken and rice for a couple of days to firm stool and help recovery. I have treated this many times with hunting dogs.
As for the pee , you need to crate dog until this under control. Out to pee often and no water 2hrs before bed. Clean all pee spots with Natures Miracle for best results.

oldhounddog
He was given Metronidazole. I have sweet potato on hand and have started to give that to him tonight. I will try chicken and rice tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts