Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had my dog for 2 1/2 weeks now. A few days after we brought him home from foster, I brought him to the vet for ongoing diarrhea, which turned out to be giardia. We did the 10 doses of metro and things were better, but over the last 2 days he's having runny stools again.

Giardia is something I've never dealt with before - is this normal? I'm supposed to bring a stool sample in tomorrow for a recheck anyway, but fully expecting they will tell me he either still has it or that it's back. Is there another treatment, or will we have another course of Metro to get rid of it?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Giardia can be difficult to kill. In my experience with fostering shelter dogs that have had giardia, it often needs a couple of tries with different drug cocktails to kill it. I just found on the internet with a google search someone saying that Metronizadole is only 60-70% effective at killing giardia, so that could explain why that happens (if it's true).

So based purely on personal experience (0 science), I'd say that it's normal for Giardia to act that way.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Completely normal. Our Pyr pup had a Giardia infection when we got him. We had dealt with it for close to 3 or 4 months. Consider everything contaminated and a risk for reinfection, including the grass he pooped on. Recurrance is a hugggge thing since giardisis are so hard to kill. Clean everything you can that might've gotten poop on it with high heat like steam or bleach it. And then avoid the outside areas he was in. We did that until there was a cold snap and we had no problems again.

Best of luck! :) I know how much it sucked.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It's hard to kill and spreads easily. I brought home a ferret that had giardia and I took him to the vet. The vet suggested that I put all of my pets on medication to prevent an outbreak of it at my house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts