Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Newfie Landseer in a pet store mall, and brought him home. There's a lot behind this decision. I didn't want to support puppy mill suppliers, but when looking at the Newfie rescue groups, the most prevalent reason Newfies were given up was that the owners didn't understand what they were bringing home. The drooling, shedding, or size was too much. And as I was standing there, someone expressing serious interest in buying the puppy was asking how they were around children, do they tolerate heat... basically all questions you should know the answer to long before considering getting a dog. Long story short, after two days of deliberation, I came back and brought him home. His name is Murphy.

He's wonderful, and as a bonus surprise, both his parents have been certified for their eyes, elbows/knees, and hearts. As a not welcome surprise, I found that he'd arrived at the pet store with a respiratory infection, coccidia, and giardia. He immediately began treatment for these conditions. I brought him home Friday night, and Saturday morning had him in to see the vet with a stool sample. The vet ran tests, and found that the respiratory infection and coccidia were gone, but that he still had a mild case of giardia. I was prescribed a liquid to give him once per day named 'panacur', 100mg/ml, and was told to give him 8cc's daily. I also was prescribed a twice-daily pill of 'metronidazole' 250 mg.

He's very happy and became instant best friends with my brown Newfie Ozzy. His appetite is pretty good, and he has a lot of energy. However, he's got some blood in his stool. I'm picking up his stool whenever he goes, and am giving his lots of water and his meds. I feed both my Newfies 'Taste of the Wild' puppy food with the salmon flavor, and they get some extra supplements my breeder suggested. So, with the things I'm already doing, is there anything else I should do to help my little guy get better? The blood in his stool doesn't have me in a paranoid state, but I'm a bit concerned and want to make certain he doesn't develop a serious problem. He was tested just yesterday, and the vet gave him a good bill of health except for the mild giardia.

Any advice?

·
Registered
138 Posts
We got our papillon from a puppy store and he also tested positive for giardia. He went through three rounds of the panacur with the metro and still tested positive. They vet finally gave him an anti parasite pill for three days that was supposed to be much stronger. He is due to be retested this week again and I sure hope it has cleared. I hope someone with more knowledge has some good suggestions for us both. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Please protect yourselves and your children - giardia is easily transmitted to humans. That means being extra careful to clean up any messes, inside and out, and always washing your hands. No sleeping in bed with the dog until the vet says he's cured.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The black and white dog in my avatar was a rescue. Actually she was supposed to be a euthanasia. The vet came and talked to me and the sucker that I am said that I would take her. The owners were relieved and signed her over to me. She was given up due to having giardia. It was the last straw for the owner. Her kids started having diarrhea and the owner decided to get rid of the dog. She was already on meds and when she finished her meds the vet ran some tests. One was a direct fecal test and the other one was a snap test. Both tests were negative. Some giardia is hard to clear up. It is important to finish all meds and have test done to be sure the giardia is gone. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=PRINT&A=2386 We did do the drontal and the metronidazole/panacure to get rid of her giardia.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Molly had Giardia a while back and my vet prescribed metrondiazole combined with a course of Drontol Plus tablets which has done the trick for her. I think I gave her 1/2 a tablet twice a day for 4 days. She has been re-tested since and the results have been negative & she doesn't have diarrhea so I'm sure it's gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts