Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering adding another dog to our household. I've been contemplating the Giant Schnauzer or Airedale. I'll be starting with a pup, no matter which breed I end up choosing. If anyone reading has experience with either of the two breeds... I'd like to hear about it. I'm not stranger to terriers as I grew up with them but not big terriers. Whichever I go with, my dog will have a job to do on the farm.

I've done a few searches on both breeds but haven't turned up much beyond the breed club stuff.

Thanks in advance if anyone has information to share!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well as we all know each dog is pretty individual, but breeds can predict trends to the personality. I have had both, both females and from my two would say the Airdale was a little easier for my personality (I am not that dominant but am drawn to big bossy dogs)... Am currently partenered with an adolescent giant schnauzer in an urban setting and can definitely say that I wish she had a farm job to do-- she loves everything outdoors, is relatively impervious to cold (for the first month she slept outside our condo in the stairwell with the roof door open b/c she could not stand it inside!)-- and loves swimming in ponds, digging giant holes and would LOVE to have property to patrol and guard. She has a strong guard instinct and an aversion to strangers....
The Airedale we had when I was a teen and she was more mellow (but active-- this dog spent 5 years in Nepal with our family it is a long story...) easier with strangers and not as driven -- but I can bet there are some pretty dirven Airedales out there...
Well thats all for now off the top of my head ask specific questions and I can try to answer them from my personal experience if that helps...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts