Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where do I begin? For starters, I share a house with my roommate, who has 2 miniatures, a schnauzer and a pom. I recently took in a stray (Murphy) that showed up at our house about a week ago - took him to the vet where he checked out fine, we think he's about 9-12 months old and is already 30 lbs, possibly a Giant Schnauzer/Poodle/Airedale mix? Anyway, I have always owned cats, so dogs are new to me, not that I don't adore them, just haven't had to deal with training before. He's learning "sit", and "whoa" which he does pretty well when not distracted too much, and he understands "no." The problem is the miniature pom. He has an extremely nervous temperament and is afraid of everything, including Murphy, who is 10 times his size. As soon as Murphy walks into the room the Pom will start barking. Sometimes Murphy will ignore him, but other times he thinks it's a sign that the pom wants to play, so he starts to bark and chase after him. This in turn freaks the pom out, as he runs away squealing. It then takes everything in my power to calm Murphy down, and to get the mini schnauzer to calm down as he thinks he's "protecting" the pom (the mini schnauzer is the alpha dog in the house). I am worried that as he grows older and gets bigger he will be harder and harder to control, so we need to nip this in the bud now. I certainly don't want a pomeranian heart attack on my hands, but I need to find a way to get the pom to accept the big guy so that eventually they can be in the same room together without supervision. It's especially hard on my roommate because she goes home during her lunch to let her mini dogs outside to potty (Murphy is outdoors during the day right now until he gets fully crate trained - he will destroy everything otherwise. The weather is pretty nice right now so it's not a big issue, and he gets along well w/ the dogs in the yard next door, and we live in a wonderful, super dog-friendly neighborhood).

I would appreciate any advice you all can give... all of the dogs are neutered/spayed. Right now my roommate tends to pick up the pom and just hold him whenever Murphy enters the room, to kind of "hide" him from the big dog. Not sure if this is the right way to deal with it or not, but then again I know she's afraid he'll get hurt otherwise.

He is really a very intelligent dog, and very laid back most of the time. I'm walking him once a day right now, but plan on upping that to twice a day if possible. I work full time and have school 3 nights a week but if I have to I'll come home on my lunch break for mini-walks.

Sorry I wrote a book... hope you aren't cross-eyed. :)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
If he's 9-12 months and 30 lbs, then I wouldn't really expect him to get that much bigger- certainly not a giant breed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is 30 lbs completely malnourished, meaning when I found him you could see every rib on his body and his hip bones were jutting out. So whether or not he is "truly" a giant breed or not, he will most definitely gain weight, making him harder to handle. Will he grow to be 60 lbs or more? Who knows... according to the vet I went to he could continue to grow for another year, or he could stay the same height and just "beef up" some. Either way, he will definitely weigh more, and the point is I need to find a way to control his behaviour *before* he gets too big to handle. He understands the "no" command but when he gets excited around the pom he doesn't listen. Last night we decided to try the "no" command along w/ a spray of water in the face whenever he wouldn't immediately obey. That seemed to work better, but I fear that eventually he will figure out that the water isn't really hurting him, and will ignore that too. Any additional advice would be appreciated; he is such a sweet dog really, and has obvious abandonment issues, but is so very very smart... I just need to know the right way to go about it.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Murphy'sGirl, That is so nice of you to give a home to a dog in need. I am going to suggest formal obedience training classes. Look into kennel clubs in your area, they can often times be cheaper then other facilities. Look up the NILIF sticky on this forum as well as it has wonderful information. My dogs at 105-140 pounds have always been socialized with very small dogs. All the way down to a teacup Chihuahua that was only 4 pounds. (eek!) They played very very well. You are dealing with a dog that you do not know yet. Getting your dog into some classes will help you to build a relationship with this dog and socialize him under the watchful eye of a skilled trainer.
As far as how much your dog will grow it is hard to say. A dogs skeleton grows until it is approximately 1 year. They can still put on muscle mass and fill out for at least another year after that. If your dog was super skinny he might add significant weight. I once rescued a Rottie that was only 48 pounds and was 11 months old. She more then doubled her body weight. She was no more then skin and bone when I took her in though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Don't pick the Pom up! I learned first hand that this only makes the chasing dog MORE excited. My pup gets crazy when we pick up kitty to get him away from her.

I received a number of different tips when I was asking about how to socialize my overeager pup (she also just wants to "play" with the kitties, but is way too rough).

-Teach your dog to come when you call his name (this can be done by saying his name, giving a treat, saying his name, giving a treat, etc. etc. etc.) That way, he might just leave off chasing the pom when you say his name, and you won't have to restrain him/pull him off.

-Pulling him off might make him more excited as well. He might think it's just part of the big, fun game. I was told to remove him from the small animal (if he actually is mouthing it) by the scruff of his neck and then "block" the dog from getting back to the smaller animal with your body. (Luna tends to get a bit overexcited with this, too, but she does give up on chasing the cat after a time. I only let her approach the cat when her body language tells me she isn't going to play rough).

-Try the squirt of water without a command. The surprise effect sometimes works better. Also, don't let the dog see whatever you're using to squirt the water (those cheap plastic ketchup bottles work well) otherwise he will only behave when he actually sees the bottle.

Good luck and thanks for giving a stray a home!!

ETA: I also second Inga's recommendation for obedience class!

·
Registered
673 Posts
my Berner girl is 70 pounds and will be 9 months on the 12th, and these dogs are considered large breed not giant breed. I think I've read that they grow until a year and then bulk out for another year or two. She's got quite the muscle mass already and is extremely strong:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the advice! He definitely knows "come", he just doesn't like to obey it when he sees that pom - I think in his little heart he just wants to play, but if we let him go he will corner and mouth at the pom and it just terrifies him right now because Murph is so BIG. I carry treats around all the time and I've started treating him every time he comes to me when called. Hopefully this will help. We've tried the "body block" as well, but it's tough because he's so big and squirrely and the house is pretty open, so he can dart around us pretty easily.

My roomie and I have also talked about perhaps taking the pom and Murphy to obedience training together, thinking perhaps this would allow for them to bond. It will just have to wait a few weeks - I spent so much money on this big guy just on general supplies (food, treats, crate, dog house, leash, collar, vet bill, etc...) that I'm tapped out until the end of this month. I think if things haven't improved drastically by then we will definitely look into a class.

And thanks for the clarification between Large and Giant breed. I was getting confused, I know he is not a giant breed, he just probably seems that way to the pom. :) We are anticipating him growing to somewhere between 40 and 60 lbs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If he absolutely won't listen, you'll probably need to keep him on a leash around the Pom until he learns to behave. ;) Make sure you get a wide collar (Petco sells some nice padded ones) so he doesn't damage his trachea when he's pulling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts