Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 ghost shrimp. Two of them look normal like all of the pictures of ghost shrimp on the internet. However, one of them has this yellow-green-ish blob on top of the stomach and other organs and under the exoskeleton. I can't figure out what this might be! They're all acting totally normal and moving around and eating like pigs, lol! So what could this be?

I drew the blob on this picture to illustrate what I'm talking about:

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope it's not the stomach, I can see the stomach separate from the blob. Also the other shrimps' stomachs don't look like that.

I wonder if it might be reproductive organs? And that this shrimp is either male or female and the rest are the opposite sex?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh WOW! I think that my ghost shrimp might be a female, and the blob might be her "saddle" or ovaries with undeveloped eggs. I found this really interesting website: http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_reproduction.html

Okay, so since I potentially have two males and a female, I'm guessing they will be able to reproduce. I'm keeping my shrimp in a tank with my betta fish. If they successfully reproduce, do you think the baby shrimps will be eaten by my betta? I don't really want a tank overrun with shrimp, but sounds like it might be a nutritious little snack for my betta, LOL!

ETA: ACCKK!! Update! We have a pregnant ghost shrimp! LOL! I just went and checked on them just now and there are EGGS under my shrimp!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think it is a definite possibility that the shrimp eggs/babies will be eaten by the betta, bettas are such pigs! I know of people whose bettas have eaten fully grown shrimp. I don't know how many eggs ghost shrimp lay, but if a betta gorges himself too much it's not good for him at all, so I'd just keep a close eye on things.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice! How much is too much for a betta to eat? The cluster of eggs on her belly is about the size of a grain of rice at the moment. It's actually really difficult to tell though! They're so hard to see.

·
Registered
193 Posts
A betta's stomach is about the size of his eye, so he'll probably be ok, but might be a little too much. Just keep an eye on him. If his abdomen starts to look swollen/bloated, you can safely assume he ate too much! And you'll need to fast him until the bloating goes down.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay thanks! I'll keep an eye on him!

So far the shrimp eggs are still intact and uneaten, hehehe. :biggrin1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts