Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our puppy a little later than is ideal. He was use to hanging out with his litter mates and doing what he wanted. Copper is a 4 month old German Shorthaired Pointer. I have been reading Gun Dog by Richard A. Wolters for training purposes. The basic command sessions are very straight forward, but my problem is getting the dog to focus. I'm not sure he even knows what is going on. His eyeballs are darting all over the face and not at all focused on what I am asking him to do. I don't think he is dumb. We have successfully taught him "off" just out of necessity!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
A normal GSP is always hunting, always 'distracted.' In addition, a 4 mos puppy may be in a little pain, b/c he is teething, losing his baby teeth and growing in his adult teeth.

You might look into clicker training, but meanwhile, try bring him into a room with no distraction, such as the kitchen, with the doors closed. Let him sniff, and ignore him, watching him out of the corner of your eye, while you wash dishes or do something unobtrusive. If he gets bored and Sits, then Praise and treat. Then, ignore him again, and repeat. If that doesn't work after 3 days, try the kitchen table ...

Put some newspaper on the kitchen table, and lure him to Sit with a small piece of boiled chicken. Continue with other cues and behaviors, after 3 days with successful sitting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts