Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Harper(pit boxer) is a pretty hyper dog. I constantly trying to get her to listen and not having much success.

I run into the following issues.
  • When sitting on the floor with our 7 month old, the dog is constantly in the way. She will sit next to us then slowly crawl right in front of the baby on her toys. Getting her to move and go back on to her pillow or just move out of the way she completely ignores me.
  • Once a week we go to my in-laws. She is so hyper the entire time. she runs through the house, picks up things, jumps up on people. If I put her on her leash to calm her, after long enough she will start biting her leash.
  • She still tries to play with our hands by biting. I have tried letting out a high pitch and she doesnt care. She has nibbled on my 7 month olds toes. Doesnt hurt her but I dont want it to one day. How do I get her to stop nibbling. She will be 2 years old in April, I thought this stage would be gone by now.
  • She still will grab things like socks, wash clothes, paper, or little things out of the garbage. I try not to chase her when she does this because she will think I am playing with her.
Anyone have any clues how to improve any of these behaviors. She gets walked frequently and I dont see a change. I really just want her to acknowledge us as her owners and when we tell her to do something she listens.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
How have you trained her for the behaviors you want?

A few things in no particular order:
- It's easier to teach her what you want than it is to teach what you don't want. Instead of thinking, "I don't want her to sit between me and the baby," think, "I want her to sit nicely on her bed while I tend to the baby."
- You need to find what motivates her and use it to your advantage. If she loves to play tug, use that to reinforce behaviors you like.
- Management may be the best option for some things. Anything you don't want her to have should be kept out of reach.
- Make sure she is getting sufficient physical and mental exercise.

You might check out Kikopup's videos for tips on training a variety of behaviors, including teaching a puppy not to bite (I suspect the technique will work with an older dog), "go to mat," and "settle."

Specifically for the nipping, teach Harper that if she nips, all interaction stops; walk out of the room if necessary. She'll catch on that if she wants to play, she'll need to find a different way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts