Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just turned into a Daddy of a beautiful baby girl. With two dogs and now a baby around it's impossible for my wife to take care of vacuuming :( so I was thinking of buying a robot vacuum cleaner for her. Anyone has used these round robot things before?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Maybe YOU can vacuum? :p Unless you're broken.

I've heard the robot vacuums get clogged with dog hair easily, and need a lot of maintenance. But then again some people are very happy with them.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
I think your wife would probably whack you upside the head with the robot vacuum and tell you to help out :)

The best reasonably priced vacuum for dog hair that I have found is a small shop-vac. Never clogs, built to handle larger bits of gunk.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I just turned into a Daddy of a beautiful baby girl. With two dogs and now a baby around it's impossible for my wife to take care of vacuuming QUOTE]
How much is the baby shedding? Try helping your wife by changing vacuum cleaner bags regularly...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I suggest that you take over the vacuuming duties. With two shedding dogs, you'll need to vacuum several times a week, especially when the baby becomes more mobile.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
An old friend of mine (who has since moved away) used to have one of the robot cleaner things. They said it definitely helped with with amount of hair (they had a malamute mix and a lab mix). I can't remember what brand they had though, I believe when it was full it would go empty itself at the charging station, I can't imagine it would get much done if it couldn't do that (would fill really quick with dog hair). I've honestly thought of getting one too, I vacuum daily but Nash sheds so much and we are in a studio apartment. Within an hour of vacuuming it looks like I didn't (and I brush him out with the shedding rake almost daily).

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I suggest that you take over the vacuuming duties. With two shedding dogs, you'll need to vacuum several times a week, especially when the baby becomes more mobile.
I second that. And pick up a comb and groom the dogs first. After you vacuum, put baby in the stroller, leashes on the dogs, hand your wife a bottle of wine, some bubble bath and candles and give her an hour to herself.

If the dogs are really shedding a trip to a groomer or a dogwash, a good scrub and power blow dry is in order.

·
Registered
591 Posts
As much as my dogs hate the vacuum I don't think it would take long for one of them to kill it ! Lucifer already killed one almost new vacuum when I first got him It was evil and had to die !!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Aren't those robo vacuum things really expensive too? I thought it would cool to have one, but honestly running the vacuum through our carpeted rooms every couple days takes no time at all. Plus I am sure your wife would appreciate you taking over certain things around the house.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice guys. I tried helping with the vacuuming but boy was that hard?!! I had no idea what my poor wife had to go through every time she carries that heavy hoover thing on the carpets... it's heavy and I tell you: inefficient!!!! it's just loud noise that pisses off the dogs and now the baby!!! anyways, I found an online deal from bobsweep (it's a robot vacuum) and they sent it to me last week. In comparison its wayyy quieter than the hoover and it moves around the house on its own which is great for my back! I asked them about the clogging problem before ordering and they said that I can overcome that with cleaning the brushes regularly so I bought two extra brushes to use alternatively and they sent an extra brush for free! so now i have 4 brushes to spare whenever the brush is dirty. I run it everyday before leaving the house and so far so good. Dogs seems to be fine around him: Arthur the playful one tries to chase him around the house but Damir the wise dog he is decided to ignore Bob (that's what I call the robot) from day one.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I tried helping with the vacuuming but boy was that hard?!! I had no idea what my poor wife had to go through every time she carries that heavy hoover thing on the carpets... it's heavy and I tell you: inefficient!!!! it's just loud noise that pisses off the dogs and now the baby!!! anyways, I found an online deal from bobsweep (it's a robot vacuum) and they sent it to me last week. In comparison its wayyy quieter than the hoover and it moves around the house on its own which is great for my back! I asked them about the clogging problem before ordering and they said that I can overcome that with cleaning the brushes regularly so I bought two extra brushes to use alternatively and they sent an extra brush for free! so now i have 4 brushes to spare whenever the brush is dirty. I run it everyday before leaving the house and so far so good. Dogs seems to be fine around him: Arthur the playful one tries to chase him around the house but Damir the wise dog he is decided to ignore Bob (that's what I call the robot) from day one.
It's great that it's working for you! My dog would go crazy trying to kill a robot vacuum! He's convinced the vacuum is a horrible monster deserving of chasing and barking.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It's great that it's working for you! My dog would go crazy trying to kill a robot vacuum! He's convinced the vacuum is a horrible monster deserving of chasing and barking.
For the first time I let Auriel out while I vacuumed. She tried to attack it, and when it came near her, she peed. I about died laughing. I learned my lesson, crate the pup before vacuuming.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When Stella was about 3 months old, I took her to my friend's house that has a robot vacuum. It was just sitting on the floor, off and not moving. Stella stood on it and accidentally hit the "on" button and it moved underneath her. She has been scared to death of it ever since. Lol

I use a bagless eureka vacuum and have to empty it every time I vacuum since I have 2 cats and 2 dogs. Good luck with your new toy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts