Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my nine-week-old Corgi puppy for about a week now, and I haven't been able to get him on any kind of feeding schedule. Whenever we feed him, he mostly ignores it for a while and will just go and eat at his leisure. I don't want to free feed him, but I take him to work with me and he only has an hour in the morning to finish his breakfast, which he never does in time. I've never seen a puppy so unenthusiastic about eating. I don't want him to be hungry throughout the day, especially since he's growing so much right now, but I don't know how to train him to eat right when we give him the food. Has anyone ever had this issue? I'm still mostly using the food that his breeder had him on, so I don't know if he just dislikes the new kind I've been switching him over to or what. He doesn't seem any more eager to eat the old brand.

Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, dogs can sometimes get bored with their food, maybe you should try to spruce it up a little. Mix it with some wet for or perhaps egg, something to entice him to eat it. Try playing him and exercising first thing before meal time (but makes sure to have him rest a little bit before eating), the more energy he exerts the more hungry he'll be. If you want him to eat right away: put the food down leave it for 10 minutes, if it's not eaten in 10 minutes put the food away. You can try again later with the 10 minute rule. Just keep up with the schedule and the set time limit, he will eventually get hungry enough to eat when you want him to. When he does eat when you want him to, praise him. Healthy dogs do not usually stave themselves (some in exceptional cases they might). However, if he doesn't eaten anything for a couple of days straight, it might be time for a vet visit. There could be something wrong that is causing him to not want to eat so much.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I'm a firm believer that some owners make their dogs become picky eaters. Put the food down for 15-20 minutes, take it up and put it back down for the next meal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts