Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is almost 3 years old and he still gets SUPER excited every time a visitor comes over. He jumps all over them for the first 5-10 minutes they are here, and I have to put him in another room. I have tried everything from ignoring him, to putting a knee out to block him. He knows better than to jump on me, but I really need him to not jump on anyone else. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You'll get better results if you show him exactly what he should do when guests come through the door. Most folks teach their dog to go to a mat/rug and either sit or lay down. While he's on the rug and sitting, for example, is when he gets to meet and greet the guests...(sitting politely for petting).
Of course, that means you have to teach both a sit and a stay but, it's well worth the training time.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
When and older dog continues to exhibit the puppy behavior of jumping on people, it has been reinforced (usually dogs find this self rewarding behavior) to the point where extinguishing the behavior in the same manner as you would with a puppy does not work.

Tooney has part of it right.. you need to train an alternate behavior and consistantly require that behavior when people come to the house. The other thing you need to do (and you will require knowledgeable help for this) is to make jumping unrewarding. The way to do this is to have the "victim" lean INTO the dog and "cha cha" INTO his space leaning forward. Dogs often find this disconcerting and do not jump. You will need a few people to help you with this so the dog generalizes the behavior to everyone who comes to visit.

Your dog obviously finds attention very rewarding. You will need to have people who come to your house help you by IGNORING the dog if he gets up from the sit/stay he is supposed to maintain for attention from strangers. If the dog stands, the visitor needs to stand up and ignore the dog (cross arms, and not even LOOK at the dog). It is hard to get people to do this.. especially the ones who say, "Oh I don't mind. I like dogs..." :rolleyes: I have had those folks undo a lot of training of my dog to not jump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts