Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im on day 4 of trying to get my dog to shake my hand. He knows how to sit, lay down, and bring back the frisbee. Every morning i just grab a handful of treats and say "paw" and hold out my hand with the treat wedged between my thumb and palm, he usually picks at it with his nose, but never paws to try and get it... I try tapping his paw, and then i pick up his paw for him, give him the treat and praise him. I dont think im doing anything wrong but i might be?

hes a boarder collie heeler mix, very smart. hes coming up on 1 year old july 17th.
do i just need to give it more time or is there something I could be doing better?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Be careful--in my experience, once you train them to give a paw, they paw everything! It can be annoying. Make sure you only reward it when you want it.

I've only ever trained it by taking the dog's paw, then praising/treating. If that doesn't click I'm not really sure how else to do it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
With some dogs it takes a while. Try putting the treat close to his foot and start by rewarding every movement of that foot, gradually make him move it more and more to get the treat. Do you use a clicker? I find it easier to shape behaviors that way.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Be careful--in my experience, once you train them to give a paw, they paw everything! It can be annoying. Make sure you only reward it when you want it.

I've only ever trained it by taking the dog's paw, then praising/treating. If that doesn't click I'm not really sure how else to do it.
Funny. Ray is huge on high-five and wave. And I've never known him to paw at any item I didn't want him to paw at. (He has come up with some brilliant freestyle moves based on the behavior - like stirring the cauldron in his Harry Potter routine). I shaped the behavior by teaching him to target an object with his paw, and then setting it up so he would have to paw higher and higher. And then while the foot was in the air, I named the behavior. Of course I taught it with a clicker. And I started with very small movements of the foot, and then increased the amount I asked for. Here he is doing his big wave:

·
Registered
545 Posts

We had a golden that pawed EVERYTHING after we taught him. We taught ours by picking up their paw and treating. It took them all of 2-3 times to get it.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Is there any situation when he will paw something or paw you? Try to reproduce that situation and capture/reward the paw...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am having the hardest time getting my dog to "paw" as well. Like your dog, she doesn't paw at my hand when I have a treat enclosed, and when I try to grab her paw and say "paw" while rewarding her, she flips out. I've tried for about 2 months now and decided to move on to something else. I figure Dixie just doesn't want to do it. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts