Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently started taking my dogs on walks again which is pretty awesome because for a long time he was never good on walks. He's a big, 110 lb. yellow lab named Max. Last year he was attacked by a pitbull outside our house and he hasn't been the same since. Every time he'd see a dog or person go by our sidewalk or just drive by he would go off like and alarm. We tried countless things to help him get over it. We even hired a canine therapist! LOL! Finally we found something that works, a shock collar. It works perfectly and finally he's able to behave on walks. The collar does both shock and noise and we rarely have to use the noise now. He's actually able to go on walks now without going off at every little thing. Something I noticed about him that's coming back though is that he's getting blisters again on the pads of one of his paws. Where I live, it's basically impossible to go on a long walk somewhere without having to stay on mostly concrete. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My dog had the same issue after being attacked by a golden ret and then a few weeks later a lab and lhasoapso at the same time. he was very agressive on leash after those 2 encounters. But alot of training and re socialization has changed him 100%. he has always been fine off his leash, but on leash was a nightmare. I used to take him to the pet store, and just sit outside with him, parks and just sit on the bench and let dogs pass by making him sit. worked well. he isnt 110lbs, but he is 60lbs and Im 110, so he is more then half my weight so he was hard to control for me.

As for the concrete thing. buy some shoes for him to wear. may sound silly and look dumb but it will protect his paws.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to look at those boots even though I haven't heard great things about them for big dogs. I heard the wax can be really frustrating to put on dogs and is a real mess. I can see my dog doing anything he can to get either boots or the wax off lol

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
there are these new booties. they are basically a thin membrane of baloon type material and they fit the dogs paw like a surgical glove. they are very nice because they wont fall off, they are cheap, and the dog has an easier time ajusting to them because he can still feel the grounds texture a bit through the rubber. the only draw back is that they can wearout.

here is the website

http://soggypaws.com/store/apparel_pawzboots.html

·
Registered
535 Posts
Once he does awesome with shock and noise then just bring the collar and put a different normal collar on him so he can just hear the noise.

:)

~Laura!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts