Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have been looking around a little bit and am interested in getting into the government to handle dogs that search luggage and such for drugs and can't seem to find any sort of information on how I would kind of get an in to getting on the right track. I figured this would be the right place to start!

Anybody know anything? Or somebody to talk to who does? All I need is some steering on the right track.

Sorry if this has been a post before, but I did some searching in the archives and couldn't seem to find anything, so here I am. :)

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
25 Posts
It's all part of the TSA, Customs and Police, I think you have to start on the ground floor and work your way up to be a dog handler.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
If you just want to work on training the dogs, you could look into working with one of the private trainers/training companies that often contract with various police departments and the federal government.

If you want to actually be the officer handling the dog, then you are looking into a vary narrow niche of law enforcement. A narrow niche that is typically fairly popular and often assigned based on seniority and other qualities (both things like skill and practical things like being a home owner so your landlord won't make a problem). You'd have to first become a full member of the force... meaning anywhere from 16 to 30 weeks or so of "boot camp" type training, then field training then getting past the rookie stage to get to the dog handler potential stage.

If you want to get your OWN dogs into search type work, consider looking into training and volunteering with a search and rescue type group. Many areas have volunteer based K9 search teams that will show up at all hours to look for missing persons and such.

·
Banned
25 Posts
There are quite a few reputable security and protection dog training facilities, if you start as an apprentice or even a kennel cleaner and work your way up, that might be an idea.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I know several people who have their own K9 dogs... CBP, Ag, ICE, Border Patrol, Police... they were all currently stationed in their positions and applied for a k9 position when it opened... a puppy was chosen for them which went through it's own intensive training and then they had to go down to a training facility for several months with their puppy for "group training". And then the are supposed to clock X amount of weekly training on a normal basis. That's the only way I know how to get into these position, and they're pretty sought after.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts