Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old Schnauzer (14ibs), and he won't touch the Kirkland brand from Costco unless we give it to him by hand. He'll come running if he thinks we are hand feeding him, he loves it. But if it isn't the canned wet stuff, then he won't touch it on his own.

I am wondering how to get him to eat that stuff on his own. Should we let him starve? We are worried that his body just doesn't do well with hard foods, he will chew the small bits before swallowing, we are wondering if it is too hard a food for him. Or if he is just being ornery.

Edit: We have also tried variations of putting that made for dogs "Pork sauce" and "Bacon sauce" on the dry food, which doesn't really help.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Have you tried wetting the food? It brings out the aroma of the kibble and softens it a little, which may help.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When we fed kibble we always floated it as a prevention against bloat. Although I wouldn't feed Kirkland due to it being a Diamond food.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
You need to play tough love. Put the food down for 15 mins and if he doesnt touch it. take it back up. Then put it down later on in the day. Same again. 15 minutes. He will get the picture soon enough. He wont starve himself.

·
Registered
671 Posts
You need to play tough love. Put the food down for 15 mins and if he doesnt touch it. take it back up. Then put it down later on in the day. Same again. 15 minutes. He will get the picture soon enough. He wont starve himself.
Exactly. He has you wrapped around his little paw! Although I seriously suggest looking into a food not made by Diamond

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i have a dog (Josefina) that the 15 min rule wouldnt work on, LOL she would rather starve then eat the food plain dry, so i have the natures variety frozen raw patties you can check them out on www.naturesvariety.com/ click on the dog food section, they also have canned but i dont like canned cuz its hard to keep it fresh, with the frozen raw you just take out what you want to feed about an hour before feeding time (Josefina gets 3 with one cup of food but she is very active & hard to keep weight on) & the rest stays in the freezer, rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
We had this problem with Snowball, but it turned out it was caused by a broken upper tooth. He had the tooth out last week and we are now feeding him his 1/2 cup of food soaked for 30 minutes in 1/4 cup of water. He's still tentative at first, but once we give him that first piece (as a reward for sit, down, etc.) he can't get enough. We tried just getting it wet or letting it soak for 10-15 minutes, but the half-hour really does it. In the morning I mix it before we go for out walk, and voila - its ready when we get back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts