Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i am getting a GSD pup in few hours . form a good breeder :)

i wana ask how to pick the pick of litter and how to identify that its a pure bred german shepherd .

need your help from ya'll hurry hurry im so excited :D lol

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
As you said this is from a good breeder that should answer the question of a pure bred. As for the pick of the litter you'll want to heed the advice of the breeder regarding a pup that is the best fit for your lifestyle and dog experience.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
If you get to pick your own puppy, I wouldn't call it a good breed (It's generally not done in the breed...for obvious reasons).

If you can't tell the puppy is purebred, then clearly you don't trust the breeder and shouldn't be giving them your business in the first place.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i mean he will show me the mom n dad

and will show me pups so i will get to pick the pup from litter with papers

so i want to know what to look in while picking the pup from litter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok the best way to pick the best dog of the liter is to pick it like a hunting dog. When you see the liter choose the one that ignores you. I know this sounds crazy. But this is how I picked all of my dogs and they are the BEST dogs, I have ever had. I hope this helps. =]

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
That is horrible advice Kara...sorry.

This is not a breed you can mess around with in terms of picking.

My "breeder" let me pick my own puppy, and let me tell you, not a good idea.

Don't get me wrong, Strauss is a GREAT dog and he's taught me a TON....but I shouldn't have picked him (for a lot of reasons).

GOOD breeders, at least good Shepherd breeders, pick your puppy for you. They pick the puppy with the personality that will be (should be) best suited for your lifestyle.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Wow, getting a pup with papers, how can you go wrong, If you are crazy over tibetan mustiff, and I guess you have a lab, How come the GSD?

If they were really from a real top breeder they would pick the dog that best fits your personality, and your intent with the dog.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Best: If you trust the breeder let him help you choose whats best for you; he'll know the pups better.

Next: Bring somebody with you who knows dogs, esp GSDs

Otherwise: Try to pick the pup which has sort of 'average' energy/attitude compared to its littermates. Don't take the one that is the most shy. Don't take the one that is most aggressive (unless you want a really driven dog, you probably don't if your asking this question in the first place). Watch them for a while. Then try taking them outside one at a time to see how they act with you away from the others.

Not to be preachy, but the first weeks with the pup are critical. Its disconcerning you are just researching this question the day before you go. Get your act together. Don't screw up a GSD pup they are awesome dogs but have to be taken seriously. No offense good luck.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
You definitely want something like this:

Not this:

·
Registered
962 Posts
This is for peppy264, So my wife wants to get back into dogs, I do not, when my beloved doberman "Stryker" died, that was it for me, I loved that dog so much, I did not ever want to go through the get old and ageing process.

So we go to this BYB and all his best dogs are gone, all that is left is the runt, and a oversized left over that no one wanted...himmm. So I decided to get the runt, because he was interested in us and the other dog would cry if we tried to reach for him. definitely a nutso case.

So when we picked up the runt, and said this is the one, and wrote out the check the other nutso pup came running up to us crying because his last litter mate was leaving. Well, nutso me said to my wife tear up the check and write a new one, we are taking both dogs. What I am getting at sometimes you do do not always have the first pick of the litter, and you have to make a judgement call. If your interested how this ended????

To the OP, I hope you give the pup you pick a good home not based on how it compares to the other dogs but how you worked with the pup to make it into a great dog!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
hi guys thanks a lot

we drove 2 hours and got the pup :) he is a sweetheart

1 month old with papers gona get him micro chiped soon

hers our little angel :D

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

and yea i got 3 now

this is my dogs list

1) lab (got it )
2) GSD ( yay got it )
3)Chow chow
4) Himalayan mastiff
5) Tibetan mastiff
6) husky and malamute
7) caucasian
8) newfie

yea i know about space issue . im saving money now to get a big house when i get these dogs xD

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
One month old? That answers all questions about a "good breeder".

He's adorable. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Yes. Puppies should *start* to wean at about 4 weeks and be completely weaned at 7-8 weeks. Removing a puppy from its mother prematurely can cause all sorts of problems, not just nutritionally, but behaviorally. Puppies go through vital stages of socialization and interaction with their mother and littermates during that time. That's why I say "good luck" to the OP. I believe they are going to need it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks :) anyhow i got the pup now .. he is adorable little angel chewing on things lol even my toes na dinfger :p gona start his training tomorrow

·
Registered
329 Posts
You are going to "start training" a 4 week old puppy that you got from a "good" breeder..??? This puppy is not old enough for "training".It should still be socializing with it's litter mates.

Biting my tounge *SIGH* some people.........Oh yea and like the above poster good luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i started with my labs at this age too .. :|

here we start them at 1 month old and they learn n fast

first we slowly take steps for potty training for few weeeks and then we resume for rest of training .

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I have to be honest, I'm really not all that impressed with you.

You're on this forum that's full of knowledge, there is NO WAY you haven't read the gazillions of times that we tell people at a MINIMUM pups should be obtained at 8 weeks, MAYBE seven, and you go and buy a FOUR WEEK OLD PUPPY from a "Good" breeder!?

Please.

Hope he's not a nutcase like so many I meet from "good breeders" like this one.

Heck, I'm not even sure his legs are so short because he's a mix or because he's so young >.< Or hey, maybe he's a dwarf >.<

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
well i started with my labs at this age too .. :|

here we start them at 1 month old and they learn n fast

first we slowly take steps for potty training for few weeeks and then we resume for rest of training .
Is there some reason that you're leaving out all of the other training from your program.....all the things that Mom would have taught the pup over the next month?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.