Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took all of about 3 minutes to teach my puppy to "sit", but that was 3 weeks ago and I haven't made any kind of progress with her since.

I just can't seem to keep her attention (and yes, I keep sessions very short because she is so young), and even when I do, she just doesn't seem to have the slightest comprehension of what I'm asking her to do. I can't even lure her with a treat, she doesn't get that either.

She also hasn't learned not to bite yet, which is driving me a little nuts cuz those needle sharp puppy teeth hurt! lol It took Corona no more than a day to learn bite inhibition, but it's been a few weeks now with Aria.

I honestly cannot remember what I did with Corona, but I know by this age she could "sit", "down" and do a short "stay".

Ugh. I'm sure it will come with time, but pretty discouraging in the meantime.

·
Banned
59 Posts
How old is she again?

Start with having her learn her name first. Call her name and if she even looks at you in the slightest, give her a treat. Continue that until you start getting her full attention, which should be rewarded. Repeat that whenever you can.

She will start to associate her name with good things, which can then be used to get her attention so you can train her.

Also, make sure you're training her in an area that doesn't have any distractions. Puppies have extremely short attention spans and will eventually find interest in something on the floor or someone else in the room.

Keep in mind that she's still a baby and will often tire quickly as well, so working on training for no more than 5 minutes a day (even if that does sound short) is ideal. As she gets older, you cn gradually increase it.

And be sure you're working on one command at a time. For example, wait until she sits right on command before moving on to "lie down" and so on.

As for the biting, it's pretty hard to stop that during the teething stages. Deezel is three months old and still tries to bite everything.

One way to possibly help the biting is to replace your hand with a toy and praise her for that. She will then realize that she's supposed to bite toys and not hands.

The ignoring method is also something that can be pretty useful. Every time she bites you, yelp really loud and quickly put her down, leave the room, or put her in a room by herself. After a few minutes, come back and resume play. If she bites you again, repeat what you did before. It might take her a while to get it, but she'll learn that biting means play stops and she gets stuck in a boring room by herself.

But again, don't expect too much with the biting thing because that's just a puppy's natural way of getting a feel for things and whatnot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd suggest looking up click training, sometimes it's hard for an animal to learn with our voices as they are always different, however, click training removes the ambiguity and puppies really love this.

Search google for click training if you're interested.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll tell you I am going real slow with my puppy as far as training commands. She learned sit quickly as well, it really didn't take any effort. That was around 13 weeks.

Around 14-15 weeks she kind of learned speak on her own. When she would get excited I would say speak in a high tone voice and now it is pretty much on que.

About 2 weeks ago we got paw down. I kept tapping her paw or actually lifting it up for her before I gave her a treat while saying paw.

17 weeks and we have sit, paw, and speak (speak is not something I even wanted to teach so its not consistent as the other 2). I can't get her to lie down yet and the command I would really like for her to come to me needs work.

I have 0 experience training puppy's but I figure they have a lot to learn so I will go slow and not try to rush anything. As far as I am concerned I am at about 4 months so if I can get most done by 6 months I will be happy.

How old is yours? GREAT looking pup by the way.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do use clicker training, it's been GREAT for Corona.

Aria (about 13 weeks old now) actually does know her name very well already, it seemed to only take her a few days to learn that.

Hopefully this fall I'll be able to get her into obedience classes, I'm sure that will likely be helpful. But until then... lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts