Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had two dogs in the past before I got my current one (Shih Tzu.) I've seen the consequences of an unsocialized, dog-dominant dog when I rescued a Labrador retriever. Our Labrador was given to our aunt and I got my second dog, a Cocker spaniel, he was perfect and well socialized. It was then I experienced a socialized dog.

But that was in a different country. Now, we moved to a different country. With my third dog (being a single dog,) we wanted to get a second dog so that he'd be able to be with his specie and we could properly leave him without worrying if he gets too bored.

But the problem was the socialization. When he was young, I introduced him to many places, many people and many sounds but less dogs. He's great with humans and other socializing stuff (cars, fireworks, thunder storms, etc) but the problem was the other dogs.

You'd probably wonder if why I didn't take him to a park or introduce him to a friend of mine who's probably got a dog. Our friends do have dogs but they treat it different, they either cage it or they leave it tied up in their backyard. In other words, they're not socialized as well.

As for the dog parks, we have no dog parks here in my country.

But when you go to malls that are a bit dog friendly, their dogs are way out of their control. My dog knows how to heel but with their dogs pulling, tugging on their leashes while barking loudly--it's such a negative influence to my dog. I tend to avoid dogs who overreact over other dogs.

I have never met one dog who didn't bark at us before passing by.

The other problem is my dog. He's afraid of dogs. I'm not sure why, but when he was young, I tried introducing him to a neighbor's dog (not by force) and he went crying and running back home. Ever since then, he's very choosy towards dogs. Now, he picks/likes the stray dogs that are roaming in front of our house, which I never encourage him to approach because the stray dogs are full of ticks and mange.

Some of you may suggest obedience training, but that training is not popular in our country. I've searched online if there were any obedience training in our country, none so far.

Please help, we really want to have him socialize with other dogs, safely and correctly. I think that having a second dog with a much confident attitude, the 2nd dog may be able to influence him to be open to other dogs.

Advices and other training suggestions are very much appreciated. (Also, this is my first time in this forum and posting a thread, so... Thank you in advance.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Uhh.. If I'm reading your post right, your dog is
1. Scared of other dogs.
2. Unsocialized with other dogs.
3. You are expected a dog to come into your home as the most perfect, socialized dog.

Sorry hunny, but that's not how real life is. Let's say you did find this already programmed dog. You are forcing your dog to be in a situation where he really doesn't want to be. You are just asking for a fight. It's like if you were afraid of clowns, but somebody thought making you live with a funny, nice clown would make your life better. It wouldn't make your life better now would it? Dogs don't need pets. If your dog is afraid of dogs, adding another dog into your house is not going to suddenly make him unafraid. You need to socialize him. And if you can't socialize him.. Don't get another dog! Your dog needs you, your dog doesn't need something he doesn't like.

Dogs aren't people.. Your dog isn't capable of the thought process you think he is. Your dog isn't going to think "Wow, this dog is awesome! Maybe all other dogs are awesome too!" No. If you were to bring a dog into the house, you are asking for a fight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I can say that the second dog idea is out of my mind, the idea is really not for our family. It took me a while to realize that he may be just a one-dog type of dog. And since he's so much better to humans, I guess he really doesnt need a friend. Thank you, though, for answering my question and I'm sorry if it was a bit of a confusing/bothering topic. I'm just glad I dont have to worry about anything.

Thanks for the post :)

Fortunately, my family decided not to get a second dog as well :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
You are very right. There are plenty of dogs who are a one dog dog. But that just means more cuddle time for you! Very wise decision I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts