Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I’m getting a puppy in April and I wanted to find out what medium size dog breed do well living in apartment buildings we don’t have a garden but I will be around. To walk it are their any recommendations for breeds that people can tell me

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
Depending on the age, a puppy will need to be walked closer to every hour than every day. I know people must raise puppies in apartments, but I can't imagine how they do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have only recently decided to get a puppy after many years of waiting because my life style wasn’t right but now I finally feel like I can take care of a puppy I’m only going to be working part time I have my dad around to help me a lot more and we are both around a lot more it may well be that I just have to wait and see and find the right dog for me when the time comes

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
If you are looking for a pure bred puppy you need to get on a waiting list with a reputable breeder who will choose the puppy that should fit you and your life style. If you think that you will just walk into a shelter and find a puppy I think you will be surprised that it does not work quite like that.

If you are looking for a small dog then you need to research those breeds and then contact breeders. You also need to do more research on the care of young puppies and dog training.

I recommend the book "How to Raise a Puppy you can Live With" by Clarice Rutherford. It is not a perfect book but it does have a LOT of good information.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are looking for a pure bred puppy you need to get on a waiting list with a reputable breeder who will choose the puppy that should fit you and your life style. If you think that you will just walk into a shelter and find a puppy I think you will be surprised that it does not work quite like that.

If you are looking for a small dog then you need to research those breeds and then contact breeders. You also need to do more research on the care of young puppies and dog training.

I recommend the book "How to Raise a Puppy you can Live With" by Clarice Rutherford. It is not a perfect book but it does have a LOT of good information.

Good Luck!
thankyou for the book recommendation i have just order it and we are going to search around for a breeder and get on a waiting list as soon as we can im also going to do a lot of research on puppy training and care so i know what im getting myself into thank you for your help

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you're looking for a purebred- from experience, don't get a border collie or spaniel, WAY to much energy for an apartment lol. If you're willing to do a lot of no-bark training, many hound breeds are great in apartments. But I'd encourage you to look at a shelter/rescue/pound, if there are any near you. You could find a puppy who needed a home, and you could meet him/her and observe its temperament before getting it. So much depends on the individual, not breed.
If you're still looking for more books, one that helped us was "zak george's dog training revolution" there are a few books in the series, choose whichever is best suited for you. He can be excessively "fluffy" with his positive methods, bordering on "unicorn-and-rainbows" ideas, but he gives a lot of insight for why dogs do what they do, and for teaching games and skills. (i'd stay away from cesar millan, if i were you)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for the advice i will do some reading up on breeds that are suitable for apartment living and read some books on puppy training so i know how to train a puppy

·
Registered
114 Posts
Currently raising a puppy, and it's more like every half-hour we have to to outside for potty breaks 😩.

No breed recommendation here, I personally can't recommend any breed over 20 lbs living in an apartment. Even though it can be done successfully, I have seen that 9/10 times the dog ends up not getting nearly enough stimulation and behavioral issues arise.

I wish you all the luck though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts