Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband went out and bought a puppy. :rolleyes: after he said he wanted to wait on getting another one.

Weird thing is the puppy just wants to be left alone. We made a crate for him with a blanket and what not and he just lays or sits in it all day. :confused: he has no interest in being with us at all. He's more playful I guess when DH isn't home but not really. He just sits and stares at us. We both feed him and take him out we try to play with him but he just walks away. We have a ball and a rope toy usually he takes them and goes to his crate to chew on them.

We put him on the couch and even let him sleep with us but he gets as far away as he can. We've had him a week now we don't yell at him or really punish him we were waiting until he got more comfortable in our home first. We try to give him lots of cookies and treats but he won't take them out of our hand or take them if we put it near us.

My husband is so upset because the dog just wants nothing to do with us. He is very independent and he is a good dog he just doesn't care much.

What can we do to change it?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
How old is he? Where did you get him? Have you taken him to a vet? That's what I would do first to rule out a possible physical cause.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
9 weeks got him at 8 weeks he just got back from the vet clean bill of health. I got him from a breeder. My husband thinks its because he's always been with all women.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
After any physical problems have been ruled out you have to give this puppy time.

You didn't say how old or where this pup came from, but being with you and your husband in your home is a whole new world for him and he needs time to adjust. Maybe human interaction is a totally new concept to him and he's not sure what to make of it.

Don't force it, let him be the one to make the first move. It sounds like you're on the right track. Don't give up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tell your husband to leave a sock or shirt he's worn before in the crate with the puppy when he sleeps. Its never failed when I've brought home a new puppy.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
what breed of puppy is it?
Ditto^^

Because your first pup is a Lab (if I remember correctly), if the new pup is a more independent breed you might feel something's wrong, even though it's just because....he's not a Lab!

·
Registered
160 Posts
The fibers are thin enough to not cause any serious problem,i did the same with my pup, he ripped the shirt and nothing happened to him, then again, i gave him a cotton shirt.
I just did the same with my pup and he's been trying to tear it up. Still think it's better having it in there when i'm not around.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Weird thing is the puppy just wants to be left alone. We made a crate for him with a blanket and what not and he just lays or sits in it all day. he has no interest in being with us at all. He's more playful I guess when DH isn't home but not really. He just sits and stares at us. We both feed him and take him out we try to play with him but he just walks away. We have a ball and a rope toy usually he takes them and goes to his crate to chew on them.
This is a 9-week old BABY, who's only been with you about a week, so is adjusting to a major change in his young life. A bond is formed over time, it's not instant.

What breed is your puppy? Some breeds are more independent than others.

The fibers are thin enough to not cause any serious problem,i did the same with my pup, he ripped the shirt and nothing happened to him, then again, i gave him a cotton shirt.
Socks are inappropriate and most certainly can (and have) caused intestinal blockage, which can result in death even with emergency surgery. While leaving an article of clothing you've worn can help a young puppy, socks are not a good choice. For bonding purposes, hand feeding, grooming, massaging, and just spending time with a puppy this young will form the bond.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You have to take it slowly and not force things, my little Akira was kind of like that when he was young. Make your interractions with your dog pleasant and he'll warm up over time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We've had Ruby for over a month and there have been times that she's been outright mad as heck at me!! There have been other times that she will stick to me like a little piece of furry Velcro and everything in between.

A puppy that is acting like this -- I would keep an eye on him, and just be loving and friendly. I might also talk to his vet and see if it's worms or something like that. He might just be kind of overwhelmed and tired, etc, etc. Different breeds can be very challenging. The last dog I owned was a Whippet and he was very sweet and non-neurotic. My current chi/terrier mix is a very neurtic baby girl due to lots of things,so I have to be very careful because she is sensitive, too.

Good luck, I think it will happen, especially since he's such a little one right now. I know with Ruby, we have have had a bumpy kind of bonding that progresses in fits and starts (and sometimes goes back to the beginning!!) but it's going in the right direction in general, so, all it good, I think. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts