Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to get a german sheppard next week hes 1.5 months old and i thought when he comes home for the 1st time i just know hes going to bark or cry at night so what can i do to make him feel better ?
Question 2:When i start training him what would be some good beginner tricks to teach ? and how long dose a german sheppard takes to learn like potty training or to sit down etc..
Thanks for your help
Sorry cose my english is bad sometimes im from albania

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
First let me say hello and welcome to DF!

Some tricks most people start with are:

Sit
Down (lay down)
Off (When they jump up)
Come
No
Looking at you when their name is called
Leave it
kennel/ crate/ bed
Quiet

Its hard to say when a dog will be potty trained because it depends on the individual dog and not so much about the breed.
As for bring him home at only 6 weeks I am not sure about over there but here the minimum you should bring them home is 7 weeks. You should normally over here bring them home at 8 weeks old. This is not because it is horrible thing to do but rather you will now have to teach it things that the mother and siblings would have normally. Good luck you your new puppy I hope he is everything you want. :)

Also you might want to join http://www.germanshepherds.com as well as here. :)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Please try to get the seller to keep him until he's 8 or 9 weeks old. He will have a better immune system, and they learn bite Inhibition up until then. That's especially important with a larger breed dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts