Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so I just signed up (finally) to the forum, although I've been reading around it for awhile now!

Anyways, I've been set on getting a border collie x puppy for the past year and a half basically. I was thinking border collie x cattle dog. Unfortunately my housing situation has taken a down hill turn and instead of living in my parents house, they're moving away & I now have to live in a townhouse with my friend & her boyfriend.

I was reading the thread about having border collies in apartments, and everyone says it can be done as long as you're paying a lot of attention to them and everything. Which I plan to do. There's also three of us going to be living there so hopefully the house won't be empty for too long in the day. My friend also has a little staffy x or something, he's pretty little & stocky haha but he's a good dog. They take him everywhere like fishing, camping, kayaking.

Anywhoo, back on track. I do kind of feel bad for bringing it into a townhouse, with very little grass down the side. The yard will basically be designated potty area. I've been doing heaps of research on border collies, and cattle dogs, and watched so many videos on training, especially watching a lot of stuff by Zak George on YouTube. I've even already slowly started buying things, like I've got bowls, a crate, tennis balls, kongs, clickers, leashes, a couple of play toys, a frisbee, etc. All my friends say I'm going through the "pregnancy" phase, or that I'm "nesting" cause I'm so excited and can't stop buying things for it! I'm getting a 'shell pool' in a few weeks too for it to have a mini pool type thing in the patio area outside.

I'm pretty much ready to go. But I kind of just wanted some other peoples advice on having such a high energy and big dog for a town house. Oh, that's another thing. The townhouse restrictions are normally small dogs only, or under 10kgs. However my friend I'm moving in with, her parents own this townhouse luckily so they're totally fine with me having a bigger dog in there :). Should be moving in before or by next month, so that's when the puppy will finally come along and this super long wait will be over!

Oh - if it makes any difference, I've owned dogs before. Infact I currently still have 3, although my mum & step dad are taking the two with them where they're moving away to, and my 3rd one lives with my dad. I was too young when we got these dogs though and didn't know anything back then on training and stuff, but now I'm getting my own puppy and I'm going to do it much better. :)

(I aplogize that this is such a long post, I'm just way too excited!)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Where do you plan to get a BC/ACD mix puppy? If you get a shelter pup, you may not have a choice of exactly what kind of mix you get, or at least you'd probably have to wait a while before that specific mix showed up at the shelter. If you get a purposely-bred puppy (not a shelter pup), you want to make sure the parent dogs have had all the proper health testing done. CERF, OFA, all those things. You can find a list of the necessary testing on the breed clubs' websites. It's hard to find a mix breeder who does all the proper testing, though.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about the ACD in that mix, very few people are prepared to provide all the requirements for an ACD. They're tough dogs, made to chase cattle all day, and without that kind of stimulation, they can be a problem. And it's not about just "paying a lot of attention" to the dog. For those breeds, you need to have a PLAN as to what kind of exercise, how much exercise, how much and what kind of mental stimulation you can provide, etc. DAILY. It does sound like you've done a lot of research and planning, but have you actually ever spent time with a BC/ACD mix? Sometimes what sounds good in print or in videos may not mesh with your situation in reality.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
OP, welcome to DF!

Willowy, from what I've seen, that mix is pretty darn common, at least around here. The BC rescue in town here had a whole litter of BC x ACD pups up for adoption recently. The OP is from Australia - not sure how common that mix would be there, but I'd have no trouble finding one in a shelter/rescue here.

OP, what is it that you want to DO with this dog? In general, ACD's and BC's are dogs that need jobs. That is to say, they need mental and physical exercise every day. Are you interested in taking up a new hobby like agility, disc, herding, flyball, obedience, or something similar? I would really only recommend such a mix for someone who was open (in terms of time, money, and energy) to doing one or more of these (or similar) activities. If you're just looking for a loyal dog who will chase a ball, swim, and play with the other dog, then you're buying a Mazerati when what you really need is a trusty Honda. What I'm saying is - there's a ton of great breeds out there - what specifically attracted you to BC's and/or ACD's?

I wouldn't worry about the townhouse issue. Sure, it's small, but the dog isn't going to care about square footage inside the house or yard, IF you provide plenty of mental and physical exercise. I live in a small house with a fenced backyard and two housemates. Even though the house is pretty tiny, the dog (BC mix) only uses the yard for pottying. She refuses to stay out there alone, which is normal for a BC (want to be with their people) and fine with me. This situation works for us because I make sure she gets plenty of time and attention. She gets regular off leash hikes, plays two dog sports competitively, and we're starting nosework soon. She settles down very well in the house, but she'd be terrible to live with if I couldn't provide these activities for her that are generally considered to be "extras" for most (read: normal!) dogs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure where to get it from, I keep looking at all the sites and newspapers I find. I look at the local shelter, and I look at this pet rescue site which has a bunch of rescue dogs posted every day. I see BC/ACD mixes all the time, I live in Queensland, Australia so that's probably why I see so many of them. They're very popular here. I didn't want to get a purposely bred puppy if I could avoid it, as I would rather rescue one who's more in need rather than owners breeding for the $$. But then again, if I do come across the perfect puppy, I couldn't help myself haha.

My grandfather owns two BC/ACD's and they're the sweetest and most nicest dogs I've ever met. They're very relaxed and happy to just be by your side. I also found one wandering my street last month and looked after it for the day until the owners could come get it. She was 1yo and was such a sweet dog. So as far as my interaction with the BC/ACD mix goes, they're amazing dogs.... which is why I was after that mix. Although, I guess it does come down to the individual dog, and the training.

Also another question, is there such a thing as being over prepared or too prepared? I'm not getting a puppy for another month at least but I've slowly been buying all the supplies and everything that I'll need. All of my friends think I'm insane, buying stuff for my "non existent dog". Others are saying this is like going through a pregnancy phase, or "nesting" haha. I don't see anything wrong with it... I'm preparing properly and getting ready... But is it weird?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GottaLuvMutts - didn't see your post come through there! Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah I'm in Queensland, Australia so the mix is very common here.

I'm definitely interested in taking up frisbee & obedience type things. I haven't looked much into flyball or anything else but I'm working on it. I really enjoy watching the dog frisbee competitions or just general videos with the way these dogs do it, it just looks like a great sport. So frisbee is definitely something I'm looking forward to doing, but not until it's closer to a year old cause of the development etc... So before that I think we'll be doing a lot of obedience. Also buying a kayak soon, the friends I'm moving in with go kayaking & fishing all the time, camping too. So that's something I want to tag along with & do too. I'm not sure what's attracted me to BC/ACD's so much, I started out being just totally in love with ACDs, but then it moved to the mix of BC/ACD cause I liked the look that the mix had, but the more and more research and things I learn/watch I'm leaning more to the BC side of the BC/ACD.

I like their smartness, the wanting to learn, their abilities, just a heap of stuff I think. I've had other dogs like a shih tzu/maltease, pomeranian, etc when I was younger, but I've just never found a dog as intriguing as I have with the BC/ACDs.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Welcome!

One thing I would keep in mind is your housing/living situation. If you don't own, it can be hard to find a place to live with a pet. Having friends is different than having them as roomates, and you may like their dog now but find they have issues with their training and so on as well - I wouldn't move in and get a puppy all at once, you may find out in six months you're in a tough place with limited options. Would fostering be an option for now? I would suggest that, so you can 'test drive' dogs and see how they work for your situation and then have the option to adopt if it does work.

I just see a lot of people who are renting and then get a dog and then are stuck in bad situations, one girl I know lives with a lot of extended family and keeps finding the dogs are overfed, spoiled by some and abused by others, all in one house. She can't afford to move because she's got the dog, so she's stuck.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
If you want an ACD x or BC x I second shelters/rescue, I hope a BC person will help also but I csn help with the ACD side of it, the parent site is www.acda.org also there is www.cattledog.com (they have links to rescue) they are very nice ppl who will be happy to help you in your search & if you are looking for a specific mix they will help you search & email you if they find something they think might interest you. Another good site is HTTP://forums.aucado.us/forum.php its a really good forum with lots of rescue info & good ppl who will help you. Also Facebook is another good place to start, my FB page is www.facebook.com/dogdragoness there are a lot of rescue links there, friend me (if you want,
no pressure or anything :) ) & i can try to help you that way.

Please consider rescue over breeder as it is a mix you are looking for, most mix "breeders" dont health or temperament test ... Somejing VERY important in either breed.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
I strongly suggest that you sit down and ask your grandfather what he went through when his dogs were pups. They will need lots of training and mental stimulation... maybe Treibball?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the living situation is going to be fine, I've lived with "acquaintances" before and I knew going into it that they weren't going to be the greatest people to live with, and they weren't, but we all stuck it out..

Will general welfare leagues/rescue places do the proper health checks like breed specific, or will it just be generalized? The rescues I'm looking at is really this site - www.petrescue.com.au occasionally checking some other rescue sites but there's a lot of rescues that post their rescue dogs on here so it's very handy.

My grandfather didn't get his dogs when they were puppies, I think he got one of them around 1-2 years and the other was also about that but a few years after. He doesn't do anything special with them at all. They just really like his company more than anything. They definitely like playing ball, that's about it. I tried to get one into playing frisbee and he seemed to really enjoy that too haha.

I just looked up Treibball, actually looks like quite a bit of fun, never seen it before. Anyone know if they have it in Australia? I was finding it a bit hard to find clubs/groups/competitions on things like frisbee/flyball etc here but I managed to find one frisbee place luckily.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
My dog Eevee in my siggy is a BC/Cattle Dog mix. I got her from a local shelter when she was 8 months old. She's 11 now. She's the best dog I've ever had! =)

That said, I did have some difficulty along the way. The shelter I got her from almost didn't let me have her because I lived in an apartment and they didn't think I would be able to provide her with enough exercise. It took a lot of convincing for them to give her up.

She did need a lot of exercise, so along with a ton of other tricks and obedience commands, I taught her to fetch to help run some energy off. I also ran her in the woods behind my apartment every day, a couple times a day. To this day, at age 11, she still needs to run each day. She gets antsy/annoying otherwise. XD

·
Registered
212 Posts
My suggestion is lots of jobs for the dog and lots of exercise.
Perhaps you can find somewhere around you that deals with herding dogs and offers practice herding for dogs?
Training should be really easy with such smarts breeds, but be prepared to be highly engaged in it and to make sure you don't run out of tricks to teach! lol!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've found so many tricks I want to teach it, and I want to really get in to Frisbee too!

I came across something the other day a lady feeds her cattle dog out of a Kong Wobbler, never used an actual food bowl. It sounds like a good idea, keep them working even at dinner time. Anyone else have any experience with that? Just seems like a nice simple job they'll enjoy doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts