Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. My Australian Shepherd has just turned 2 years old and my wife and I are getting a little guy to keep her company. We're getting a doberman pup and he should be ready to pick up the middle of this month so I have a quick question. They're going to already have his tail docked, but they're leaving the ears natural. Is there any medical benefit to having their ears cropped, or is purely for aesthetic appeal? Are they prone to ear infections if it's not done? I'm just looking for some of your opinions.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
It's aesthetic, and traditional. Ear cropping kept their ears from being torn if they were in a fight, back in the day.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I agree, it's mainly cosmetical these days.

Same with tail docking, they don't really need it done, but most breeders do that automatically.

Dobe's look interesting with tails lol.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It's purely aesthetic.

One thing to keep in mind is, if you DO have his ears cropped, you'll need to tape and post them for a long time (possibly up to a year). This is very time consuming. I've known Dobes whose owners didn't realize how much work cropped ears are, so they gave up on taping and the ears flopped. And floppy cropped ears look terrible, IMO. Much better to leave them natural.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts