Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting our new fur son this Friday the 11th. The breeder gives a 1 yr vet guarantee. I am not even sure what that means truthfully. She told me it is called a 1 year health vet guarantee.

The breeder is taking him to the vet today the 7th but told me I need to take him to the vet within 3 to 4 days of getting him.

Is this normal when you get a vet guarantee?

I did set up a appt for Monday the 14th but now am wondering if it is silly to do so when he will need to go back soon for shots?

I am a bit "gun shy" as we lost our 4 yr old April 3rd to diabetes ( more of our story here if interested - http://www.dogforums.com/dog-training-forum/111408-new-dogs-will-training.html#post1172718 )

Should I keep the Monday appt?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
When I get a new pup, they go to the vet immediately. And when I've had puppies, I've always suggested that the new owner takes the pup to the vet soon after they get it. It allows you peace of mind when your own vet can examine the pup and proclaim it healthy (or point out anything that a previous vet visit might have missed.) And it allows you time to discuss vaccination protocols and set up a schedule.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Both breeders I've bought from wanted me to take the pup/dog to the vet within 72 hours of purchase (Casper) or 14 days of purchase (Crystal). Both dogs (according to the contracts) were guaranteed free of communicable disease during that time, and the breeders would pay to treat any issues discovered. Both dogs were also guaranteed free of serious genetic conditions (Casper) or hereditary defects (Crystal) for three years. Crystal's contract also says that "after the 3-year period, the guarantee is prorated depending on the age of the dog and the severity of the hereditary problem."

So yes, definitely normal, and a good thing! Sometimes the breeder will do everything right, but issues can still crop up. For example, Casper's breeder took him to her vet right before shipping him to me, and her vet diagnosed him with "dry skin." When I took him to my vet, she discovered that he actually had "walking dandruff" mites that had caused the dry skin!

One caution about a one-year guarantee, though -- that's pretty useless. Most big issues won't crop up until at least the dog's second year. A two-year guarantee is the lowest I'd accept, and I prefer three. The breeder my friend got her minpin from provides a five-year guarantee, which is excellent.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
It's pretty standard from what I've seen, and it's a good idea even if it's not in your purchase agreement.

·
Registered
878 Posts
As others have said this is normal, in fact I'd be more concerned if they didn't suggest it as it could mean they have something to hide! I think we were given a week to take Hamish to the vets - it was 14 years ago and my memory isn't that good :)

and pics of your new arrival are mandatory ;)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Have the vet scan the pup for a microchip if the breeder says they implanted one. At my dog's first vet appt, I ended up calling the shelter so that the vet could talk to them about the missing microchip that was supposed to be there.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You always want to introduce your new pet to the vet as soon as possible.

As to the one year health guarantee . . . not to put you or your dog down, but that's a huge red flag for an unethical breeder. Hereditary problems almost never pop up in the first year of life. They usually show up after full maturity, around 2-3 years, so a one year guarantee is way to trick naive buyers into thinking they're getting a well bred dog.

I doubt you'll back down from getting this dog, but just be aware of two things: this dog likely isn't that well bred, and you're paying someone to continue to produce poorly bred dogs and to add to the huge overpopulation crisis in this country. So if you do go ahead with it, consider donating to a rescue for the same breed to help the other puppies from the litter who end up needing rescue.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am happy to hear that a "early" after purchase vet visit is norm and is a good idea. We have never ever been told this from any of other other breeders, so I was not sure.

Amaryllis - your right we won't back out ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts