Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a german shepherd puppy in a few months the mom is currently pregnant, the only problem is i live in a apartment . I already have a medium size chihuahua and i take him out 3 to 4 times a day for a walk and i do have a backyard. The landlord is the one giving me the puppy , can a German shepherd live in a apartment?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Where they live doesn't matter. What they do does. As long as you're fulfilling their physical and mental requirements, where they lay their head down at night is.. just that. I lived in an apartment with three dogs- one being a Norwegian Elkhound.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Do you know where the puppy is coming from? Have you met the puppy's parents? How are their temperaments?
These are very important to know before bringing home your puppy. ESPECIALLY for a potentially high-strung, brainy, and challenging breed like a German Shepherd. Knowing the parents becomes particularly important.

Assuming you're aware of all this and you bring him home, a few walks around the hood won't cut it for a GSD. The first post by ThoseWordsAtBest is accurate.

If you're not an exercisy-type person, you can look into nosework or competitive obedience.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I live in an apartment with 3 large dogs and one of them is a GSD. I got her when she was 12 weeks old from someone who couldn't handle her. I had some info on where they got her and just recently I went to visit them(they have 2 of her brothers). There is a language barrier, but I had the opportunity to visit them and they were awesome. All I know is that her dad is all black and a champion at something(Couldn't get any more then that) and her mom was black/tan. He immediately said that mine looked just like her mom. Yes they are high energy, they need to be socialized early on, and training is a good outlet. I would get 10 more of her if I could. She is now 15 months and has completed 4 obedience classes, got her CGC, and is presently in agility with the goals of competing in the future.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I agree with everyone else that a GSD can live in an apartment as long as they get adequate exercise and training. That being said it is important to get a well bred GSD. The breed is riddled with health and temperment problems in poorly bred dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.