Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, im a student in college and im getting an apartment next year that allows any type of dog and i have already talked to them about all the rules and regulations of owning one there. I currently have a 4 year old newfoundland but my mom wont let me bring her with me. So i have talked to her about it and she is fine with me getting another dog as long as its not a pit bull since we rent our house. I would love to get a pit and i have no issues with them and love them but ill have to wait several years before getting my own. I love dogs and really miss having one at school with me. So my question is what kind of dog or puppy should i get? i am open to any but prefer larger breeds. Nothing huge since i will be in an apartment. I have looked at a greyhound since they can be great in an apt and i have looked at puppies like GSD since i love the breed and Aussies since they are highly trainable. I am fairly active and can take the dog on several walks a day or to the dog park. I would love a cuddly dog but not needed. but i do need a dog that is somewhat quiet and friendly with dogs and people. any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
If you're open to anything, I'd suggest you look at local shelters and rescues and see what's available. A lot of mixes would fit what you're looking for, and if the dog is being fostered, you'd already know the temperament and could find the perfect cuddly, quiet, friendly dog.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
A shelter/rescue dog is a good idea. Even if a foster has had a dog for a while and declares he has such and such qualities he won't be exactly the same for you. Different home and handler, different behavior. Rescue dogs do need reminding about house training and I would assume that even a titled obedience dog would take a bit to settle down and remember training. Rescue dogs will have issues with being left at first as well. Basically a rescue dog is like getting a full sized puppy that goes through all the stages more quickly.

Before falling in love with a dog or breed check rental agreements. There are likely size and sadly breed restrictions as you already know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you got the dog from a shelter they will normally be able to tell you their temperament. Another plus to shelter rescue is there will be no (or very little) house-breaking to do! Especially if you are still at college and need to attend lessons.
Medium-sized dogs such as a Lab might be something you are looking for - active, yet loving and easy to train.
However, although the rental you have accepts any size dog - your next rental might not accept big dogs or dogs at all - so you will need to think through your plans after college whether a dog will fit into them?

Good luck to you and I hope it goes well.

·
Super Moderator
11,551 Posts
There are at least three places you need to check for breed restrictions:
1) Landlord, home-owners' association, etc
2) Home owners or renters insurance
3) Municiple or country restricitons

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I'd go for a shelter or rescue dog as well. Given that you're a student and thus your housing may be erratic in future, and you doubtless have a busy schedule, I'd look for the following criteria, besides just being a nice dog:

1) quiet (no one likes a yappy dog in shared housing)
2) already housetrained
3) no known separation anxiety and/or is already crate trained - basically, can you safely leave it home alone
4) under 40 lbs
5) not of a commonly banned breed
6) already an adult (easier to judge temperament and size, and less likely to be destructive)

Of the breeds you mentioned, the greyhound sounds best (Aussies tend to be high-strung, and GSDs are often banned, and are not known for friendliness), but their size is going to limit your future housing options.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see many people are suggesting shelter dog, and I wanna give another option. How about german shepherds? They are wonderful catchers and loyal.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Since you are living in an apartment and are going to college, I would not recommend any breeds that are commonly banned for the reason that you will probably be looking to move in the next 1-3 years. I have no idea of your unique situation, but after college most people move to find a new job, and they usually end up renting. Your next city or building may not be as dog friendly as your current living situation, and when you are frazzled and nearly broke and new to the adult world the last thing you want to be worrying about is finding accommodations because all the pet friendly buildings you look at ban your dog's breed. GSDs, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans, and other such breeds are commonly banned and may not be the best choice.

Some breeds that come to mind as friendly and affectionate are Golden Retrievers, Labs, Cocker Spaniel (although I've heard they are prone to SA), or one of the other spaniels if you get them from a more companion line. Herding dogs are great, but they can be loud and vocal. Aussies are a bit high-strung, so perhaps something like a Collie would work better for your particular situation. They are less "sharp" and friendlier than other herding breeds, it seems. They do get to be around 60 lbs, though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As a graduating college student now...I recommend not getting a dog at all. There are just too many uncertainties with finances, time allocation and living arrangements being a college student. Last year I would have been the perfect home for a puppy except for that pesky no-pets clause. She would not have been alone for more than 3 hours. I have access to some of the best trainers and dog sitters in the city. I wasn't living on the edge of poverty. It would have been great. This year I worry about having enough money for groceries. I barely have time to do homework between classes and working. And I have to move back in with my parents at the end of this month because I don't have a job that will pay my bills lined up.

So I recommend waiting until after school and once you have a stable job and live in pet friendly place with no plans on moving soon get yourself a dog as a graduation present to yourself.

In the meantime, find places that you can volunteer with dogs. Local human societies might have a program where you can read to dogs. Take your text books and sit with a pup for a while. It's win-win, you get a puppy fix and you get to study.

Try joining the local kennel club and volunteering to be an assistant with training classes. If you can't manage one training class for one hour once a week it's unlikely you will have sufficient time for a puppy (which you would need to take to class anyway).

Or check if you university/college has a therapy dog program. More and more are setting up visits by certified teams, especially during exam time, for students to stop in and see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts