Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are getting a female pit bull she's around 2-3 years old. We have a bunny that has full range of our apartment. [she's litter trained!] We just adore her.

How can we get the dog to understand she is not a toy and not to be chased? We are always going to keep a very close eye on her. Someone told me to lay her down and let the rabbit climb on top of her to show her the rabbit was the pack leader and also show her the rabbit eats first.

Is that good advice? What else can I do?

thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
Pit bulls are terriers and terriers have serious prey drive. I would not under any circumstance allow a terrier near a rabbit, though that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm with ZR here. Rabbits are natural prey for a pit bull. It's similar to expecting a lion to co-exist with a gazelle and not attack it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Someone told me to lay her down and let the rabbit climb on top of her to show her the rabbit was the pack leader and also show her the rabbit eats first.
Not good advice. A dog does not need another animal crawling on her when she's settling into a new home. If you buy into pack theory, an important element is that the animals themselves typically work it out. In other words, you would be putting the rabbit in danger.

Like the others have said, I would not let the two be in the same room together. Ever.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have to agree. Don't set yourself up for heartbreak by allowing them together freely in a room.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I absolutely agree. Never allow these two animals near each other or you'll very likely end up with a dead rabbit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i dont exactly agree. i have had free roaming rabbits before, and currently have three with my blue heeler something mix. when i had my pit/dane mixes and even my pure pit they did fine with the rabbits after some time.

the way i went about it with them was put them on the leash, whenever they would go after the rabbits i would tug a bit and tell them no. just to get thier attention. then i would let him off the leash would they would stop tryin to go after them. when they ignored the rabbits i would give them treats, if they looked at them if one ran by, i would call him, making him refocus on me and go for the treats.

shouldnt say it cant be done...but every animal is different too

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Um, I would use extreme caution. A dog can do in a rabbit in a matter of seconds. It is true that dogs can get along with rabbits but you should always be aware of the goings on. I would not allow the dog to meet the rabbit right away and then when you do make sure the rabbit is in a kennel safe away from the dog. The dog should also be on leash. You will be able to get a feel for how the dog feels about the rabbit just by seeing that interaction. I have not known to many Pit bulls that take no for an answer with a few tugs on the leash once they are focused on something. Be very very careful. For your rabbits sake.

they don't all turn out like this. I wouldn't even consider allowing my boys to play with a rabbit like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts