Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Parakeets. Fish, Reptiles.....plants, pet rock........

All are reasonably quiet, easy to care for, low cost, small, don't need much interaction.........

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
Parakeets. Fish, Reptiles.....plants, pet rock........

All are reasonably quiet, easy to care for, low cost, small, don't need much interaction.........
STOP. Parakeets are in NO way quiet, and they need a LOT of interaction. Fish and reptiles are also far more labour intensive than most people realize. Or they are if you actually care about your pets living and thriving for their full life span, and neither fish nor reptiles are in ANY way low cost to set up.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I'm just... going to leave this here:

Parakeets such as budgies may not be 'hear it down the street' loud, but they can absolutely be loud enough to cause a problem in an apartment building. They're also messy eaters and poopers, require quite a bit of research about diet and care (like many 'pocket' pets, they suffer from companies marketing really poor quality diets that can cause all kinds of health and behavior problems), and - like all parrots - need a fair bit of daily enrichment and interaction. Don't underestimate their intelligence; a budgie holds the Guinness world record for the largest vocabulary of any bird ever recorded. They've got a reputation as cheap birds you can just get to sit in a cage and look pretty, but that's really not fair, responsible, or humane pet husbandry.

Fish and reptiles are definitely quieter, but do make sure you do lots of research if you're interested, @muhco3, since they tend to be more delicate than mammals in terms of their dietary needs and enclosure requirements. You really have to know the diet, temperature and lighting requirements, enclosure size, etc. of the specific species you're interested in, and fish will require you to set up a tank at least a couple weeks (ideally a month+) in advance so you can cycle it properly.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Geesh.......guess a bit of humor is lost on this forum.

Let's avoid jumping to the extreme reactions. Whacha think?????

So, the pet rock is acceptable?

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
Geesh.......guess a bit of humor is lost on this forum.

Let's avoid jumping to the extreme reactions. Whacha think?????

So, the pet rock is acceptable?
Giving false advice that can result in unhappy owners and unhealthy and unhappy pets is not humourus. And no, our reactions were not extreme, in the least. I'd STRONGLY suggest you refrain from advising people to get pets you do not have actual experience keeping.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You assume much about my pet history.

Sorry if anyone has taken offense or used my advice.

If you wish, you may remove me from this forum and delete all my posts.

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
You assume much about my pet history.

I will refrain from any attempt at humor.

Sorry if anyone has taken offense or used my advice.
I don't assume. If you think budgies are quiet and require little interaction, or that fish and reptiles are inexpensive to set up and require little work to maintain, then you have not kept them before, or at least have not kept them properly. And yes, if your attempt at humour is to give colossally bad advice to potential pet owners, then you definitely need to refrain from future attempts at humour here.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have friends who have/have had reptiles of various types. They are a ton of work, and frequently require pretty expensive equipment to keep them healthy.

Reactions: LittleFr0g

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It sounds like the OP is agreeable to a cat or cat(s) so maybe we can wrap this up before there are any more casualties.
Indeed , Thank you every one , I have decided on getting a British Short hair kitten , Please don't fight , love each other instead

Stay safe

·
Registered
284 Posts
My daughter and son in law keep exotics, its cheaper to keep two dogs than their exotics the tanks the lights the food the tempreture..

They regularly get fosters in last year they had 3 owls all victims of the harry potter fan club it sounds like a great idea until the reality of having a freezer full of dead baby chickens or mice hits home and then theres the cleaning.
The same is true of many reptiles they have a smell that not everyone can cope with. Then theres the diet, from meal worms or locusts right up to small rats.
And if one gets out there is major panic even if its not venomous, most people just react very badly to reptiles, its all very well asking someone to help look for your kitty quite another to ask for help catching your lizard or snake..😁

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I have friends who have/have had reptiles of various types. They are a ton of work, and frequently require pretty expensive equipment to keep them healthy.
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend most reps to a person who wanted a low maintenance pet. Beardies are one of the more budget-friendly reptiles, as they have a dry habitat, don't get huge, and eat mostly fruit and veg as adults. I think the biggest ongoing expense for my guy was probably the electric bill for his tank heaters, since I live in the near-arctic. The full spectrum lights were spendy, too. I would recommend any new owner adopt a healthy adult rather than fiddle around with trying to keep a juvenile alive and fed, though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Personally I 'm one of those that don't like snakes or reptiles for that matter but each to his own? EEK! I just can't see bonding with a snake, you can't really hug them, but maybe people talk to them and show them off. Everyone has their own reasons for owning one or more?. My daughter seen this couple standing outside a convenience store with 2 large pythons handing from their necks. She said they drew quite a crowd, so maybe they seek the attention thru their snakes? There is often a large number of snakes of all kinds for sale on Kijiji ? Anyone who does buy a snake, hopefully, is responsible and won't let it loose once they get bored of it, or if it gets too big for them?

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
This thread has veered seriously off-topic. The OP hasn't expressed the slightest interest in getting birds or reptiles or fish. Time to put this to bed.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.