Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Well if it's a decision you're looking to make, which I would get is not really going to help. ;) I would personally get a GSD. I like all dogs, but I would not personally own a Lab (sorry Lab mix Smalls). I find Shepherds more aesthetically appealing and prefer how biddable they are.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if it's a decision you're looking to make, which I would get is not really going to help. ;) I would personally get a GSD. I like all dogs, but I would not personally own a Lab (sorry Lab mix Smalls). I find Shepherds more aesthetically appealing and prefer how biddable they are.
This isn't really a serious decision, just playing around with what kind of dog I would get in the future and seeing what others say ;) just a fun little poll.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
This isn't really a serious decision, just playing around with what kind of dog I would get in the future and seeing what others say ;) just a fun little poll.
Well, cast my vote for Shepherds then! Likely we will end up with a Shepherd one day as my boyfriend is a big Shepherd fan. I have a Shepherd mix now and it is arguable that she is the best dog that ever existed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's tough for me, because I love how both the dogs look. If i got a lab however, i would get a black lab. thing i love about gsds is how protective they are, and aloof with strangers. i don't want a dog to attack anyone, but give a good warning bark when someone is at the door or something. I'm sure a lab would be capable of that. only thing about labs is that i know how lovey dove and friendly they are with everyone, which i wouldn't want. don't get me wrong, id want my dog to be friendly with people, and id want people to be able to pet him, but after i give the ok, or something along those lines. i don't want a dog thats going to flip out and start wagging their tails every time they see someone new on a walk lol

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I have a Lab... .I did not choose it. Wife's dog. She had it when we met.

But given the choice between the two, A GSD would be my choice. I am not and never will be a Lab type of guy.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Shepherds.

There are six of 'em in my house right now.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Shepherd here too, My family has had them (as well as Dobes and Rotts) and I love them.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
thats a tough one because I am very picky lol, overall I would say GSD's only because there is actually lines of GSDs that are what I like.but while I am not a fan of labs as a breed, there are indivduals that I would kill to get a puppy from.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Wonderful dogs, just make sure you get one from a breeder that does the neededc health testing (as with both the other breeds) and breeds for temperment as well as conformation and health. The biggest drawback to Rotts is the high cancer rates in the breed ATM, no line is safe and spaying or nuetering too early (before two years) increases the chance hugely.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wonderful dogs, just make sure you get one from a breeder that does the neededc health testing (as with both the other breeds) and breeds for temperment as well as conformation and health. The biggest drawback to Rotts is the high cancer rates in the breed ATM, no line is safe and spaying or nuetering too early (before two years) increases the chance hugely.
My only concern with Rotts is that I know they are a powerful breed. I'm very good with dogs, and have the personality that a dog like that would require, but I'm just afraid that what I think I do is right, but then the dog for whatever reason one day decide to attack someone or something. I know these dogs are sweet, and loving, but they have the protective nature in them, and I am just afraid of making some sort of mistake during training and having it come bite me in the a**. Same reason I would never own a Pit Bull. Awesome dogs, but it's understood that it is in their blood to be dog aggressive, as it is what it was bred for. I worry that no amount of training could ever overcome a dogs genetic instinct, and that something happens one day, as it is SOMETIMEs the case with dogs like Pitbulls, Rotties, etc. They have a less margin for error than dogs like GRs, and Labs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Lab. Absolutely. Mine is five months and she has fit so seemlessly into my life that I can't imagine things without her. I like GSDs, but the average lab possesses more qualities that I was looking for.

As for Rotts, a woman I work with has a three year old female, and she is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
My only concern with Rotts is that I know they are a powerful breed. I'm very good with dogs, and have the personality that a dog like that would require, but I'm just afraid that what I think I do is right, but then the dog for whatever reason one day decide to attack someone or something. I know these dogs are sweet, and loving, but they have the protective nature in them, and I am just afraid of making some sort of mistake during training and having it come bite me in the a**. Same reason I would never own a Pit Bull. Awesome dogs, but it's understood that it is in their blood to be dog aggressive, as it is what it was bred for. I worry that no amount of training could ever overcome a dogs genetic instinct, and that something happens one day, as it is SOMETIMEs the case with dogs like Pitbulls, Rotties, etc.

The breed has been misrepresented as overly aggressive. The last male my Mom had was friendly, he'd let the meter guys come into the yard at any time. The ONLY time he was 'protective' was if my children were in the yard playing, then he wouldn't allow anyone in hte yard that wasn't family. The fact is, if you think you could handle a GSD you could most likely handle a Rott as they are similar in temperment to a GSD.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Lab for me. ;) I love their goofy, fun-loving, sweet personalities. We have a chocolate lab x and she is just awesome. But, I love GSD's too. My brother has two and his 3 month old pup is just the sweetest little lovebug, so I wouldn't kick him out of my house. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The breed has been misrepresented as overly aggressive. The last male my Mom had was friendly, he'd let the meter guys come into the yard at any time. The ONLY time he was 'protective' was if my children were in the yard playing, then he wouldn't allow anyone in hte yard that wasn't family. The fact is, if you think you could handle a GSD you could most likely handle a Rott as they are similar in temperment to a GSD.
If that is the case then I take most of what I say back. I hope you understood where I came from. I've always read online of Rotties being very protective, and if you don't socialize them enough they turn into vicious animals, and this and that. I've never had anyone with a Rottie, so I don't have first hand experience, so I've basically just had to go with what I read online. I just want a chill dog, and that is relaxed, friendly, and loving at home. Aloof (not aggressive) towards strangers, and a dog I could go run with, take to a park and toss the ball with, etc. I think a Rottie would fit that bill :) and the fact that you have experience, and can say that they are pretty much the same in temperament as GSDS makes me feel better, because I definitely think I could handle a GSD. i guess they just call Rotties out more in the whole aggressive thing.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Depends on experience, lifestyle & general daily life. For us I would say lab though the gsd are amazing dogs, I don't think they are for the average owner tho.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a 2for1 LabXGSD shelter dog. Neither of those are my breed of choice (I compromised to avoid rocking the boat with my landlord), but I do think they're both great breeds. If I was going to get a purebred from only those two choices, I'd pick a GSD because I'm just not really a labby person. We picked Wembley because he needed us. I'd have gone for a boxer or a rottie in a heartbeat if I was choosing a dog just for me (with no input from the kids or the landlord).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts