Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes. It is me again, with another fun topic lol. Lately I have been researching dogs like it's my job, which can be taken two ways. One, I'm a weirdo because it's still a year or two until I can own my own dog, or two, I'm a very responsible future dog owner :D hopefully it's the latter. Regardless, I've narrowed my possible future dog list to these two. The GSD and the Boxer.

For those of you who don't know; qualities I look for in a dog include: Fun, loving, loyal, relatively good "sense of humor", indifferent with strangers, and if possible, a decent watchdog.

Which one of these two breeds do you think would fit the bill more? I'm not looking for picture perfect, but if you had to recommend one out of those two, based on what I'm looking for, which one would you recommend?

**This is all disregarding maintenance such as exercise and grooming, etc. I am well aware that both breeds are very active**

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It would depend a lot on what breeders are around with dogs I like. I know of a few boxer people and didn't like the dogs per say, I'm more of a fan of a dog who wants to visit, and isn't alloof. That being said I love a good working shepherd....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Boxers really fit the "sense of humour" and fun category! The GSDs I have met, and the one I had growing up, were all very serious dogs. Definitely indifferent to strangers and a good watchdog.
The boxers I have been around, all goofy, clowny, hilarious, physically very affectionate (a big lap dog)... Most of them do like every person they meet, and are good watch dogs

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boxers really fit the "sense of humour" and fun category! The GSDs I have met, and the one I had growing up, were all very serious dogs. Definitely indifferent to strangers and a good watchdog.
The boxers I have been around, all goofy, clowny, hilarious, physically very affectionate (a big lap dog)... Most of them do like every person they meet, and are good watch dogs
How serious? Did they not enjoy cuddling up with you, and hugs and kisses? I'm a pretty manly man, but I need a dog who's down to get some wet kisses and cuddles! lol

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
From the little bit you've said I think that a boxer sounds like a better fit. Both breeds are ones that can have some major health, temperament, and structure problems if you don't research breeders well so make sure you find somebody who is doing things right.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I might be a bit biased, since we had 2 Boxers! Great all around dogs, and while very capable-- backpacking, watchdogging-- think doing nightly rounds of the Haight Ashbury at midnight when I got off work-- also great people dogs-- friendly with those you are friendly with and growly with those you are Not- our two handled us having a Baby with such good grace and humor, and my girl managed to get her CGC at the age of 4 with out a class for it! Just great dogs! Our boy did have joint issues (2 knee replacements, but he was our 1st pup in 20 years and we did bad things like start him on Frisbee as a pup, once he went off a 20ft Bunker fetching a ball)-- but he was bought out of a van at a hamburger joint, whilst our girl is very healthy almost 13 (I think I rounded up to 13 on another post) she has to take a thyroid supplement but only in the past few years-- This has been a great breed for us-- but we wanted a dog with a sense of humor (we are a busy household, not the most precise or rigourous with our training), very flexible and fun to be with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im biased too. The shepherd will be any dog you train it to be. My dog is affectionate, loyal, loves people, easy to train and loves a job whatever you choose it to be. I have so much fun with his antics..he has a great sense of humor. We love hide n seek and i have taught him sooo many tricks to entertain everyone. When people leave he even waves bye bye. In my opinion, the shepherd is a must have..great all around dog. Tazor would high five that if you were here.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Strauss is the most serious GSD I own, so I'll go off him.

Will he snuggle? Yes. Is he hardcore about it? No. He'd rather lay on one end of the couch, and have you sit next to him than go all out for hugging and what not. He does not initiate kisses generally (which I like). Srs dog is srs.

According to Strauss, life is srs bizness

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've had 4 Boxers and have read the Boxer message board for years. They are fun, happy dogs. Some have a protective nature about them, some don't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts