Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
slideshow of him(kendall)

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h423/Millsapp/?albumview=slideshow

I bought a dog over a half a year ago he isnt yet a year old or just about a year

The person who sold me the dog told me it was a alaskan malamute german shepherd mix

and as he got older i started questioning whether he had great dane in him as well
(the person i bought the dog from said she breeded great danes)

I love this dog regardless, even though i was told something that he might not be when i bought him

But i really want to know if he is really a "alaskan malamute german shepherd mix" or a "alaskan malamute german shepherd with great dane"

What things that kind of me think of great dane other then the fact the previous owner breeded great danes is that he is entirely clumsy, floppy ears and his hair isnt furry at all

Idk maybe im thinking to much into it but i just really want to know what he really is just because i really want to know ;p

thanks! hope to hear some comments!

here is a slideshow of him(kendall)

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h423/Millsapp/?albumview=slideshow

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I don't see any Malamute or Dane either. How big is he? He doesn't look very big, and if he had Dane or Malamute in him he would be bigger than that. Definitely GSD, maybe a little Husky. Hard to say exactly--he loooks like he comes from a long line of mixes.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
One of my neighbors that lives across of the street from me has 2 Mal.'s. The female is huge, but, the male is quite ENORMOUS(kinda reminds me of a shaggy, live, walking dog-house). Actually though, I think that the female may have passed on because I have not seen her in the past couple of years...Anyhow, I once had a gsd mix. Always was suspect that he was mixed w/husky due to his nice curvy tail. He looked pretty close to your cute boy.
I'm no expert, but, I just can't really find ANY mal. in him....not really even any dane.
I would like to "borrow" him for a day just to be sure either way! LOL :)

·
Banned
693 Posts
I actually see no Great Dane in him at all. He doesn't look nearly large enough to inherit their size, he has Shepherd/Mal coloration and a Shepherd-y face.

Some large dogs just get clumsy when they're going through their adolescence. It sounds like he acts like a Shepherd mix and he certainly looks like one.

Floppy ears can happen in full-blooded Shepherds. I think it just means that their cartilage didn't harden correctly or enough to hold the ear upright. My dad's Shepherd mixes have floppy ears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually see no Great Dane in him at all. He doesn't look nearly large enough to inherit their size, he has Shepherd/Mal coloration and a Shepherd-y face.

Some large dogs just get clumsy when they're going through their adolescence. It sounds like he acts like a Shepherd mix and he certainly looks like one.

Floppy ears can happen in full-blooded Shepherds. I think it just means that their cartilage didn't harden correctly or enough to hold the ear upright. My dad's Shepherd mixes have floppy ears.

Thank you this was really helpful and ty you others as well

Well he is still very young so maybe he will start filling out more soon

But i would of said there wasn't malamute in him ether but his tale and his colors definitely have malamute traits(as noticed from the guy i quote replied to)

I just excepted this breed of dog to be a lot bigger then he is right now but like i said he is still below a year? And he might be more mixed then i expected, The breeder lady definitely swindled my cash but I love that dog so well worth it lol

Would it be possible to get a blood test to find out what he is exactly?
(im on a mission to find out ;p, got a lot of time on my hands)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm not one to ever go against dmickle on anything shepard related, but I just don't see the malamute relation :(. Sleep deprivation is kicking in mayhaps! I'll have to look tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not one to ever go against dmickle on anything shepard related, but I just don't see the malamute relation :(. Sleep deprivation is kicking in mayhaps! I'll have to look tomorrow. :)

I totally understand why you wouldn't suspect malamute but im going to post a video tonight when i go walk him and then you all will get a totally clearer picture of everything especially the curly fry tale dealio and maybe itll shed more light of his mix

·
Registered
929 Posts
I was alerted to your thread because your guy looks ALOT like my foster dog Mister who is supposedly a Malinois Shepherd mix. He's a year and a half old and medium size and build.

I have an 8 month old that we know her mother is an Alaskan Husky and suspect her father had Great Dane in him. She is 70.5 lbs and very very tall! Her brother is 81 lbs. This is at 8 months old remind you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does he sing like a Mal? I have a Mal mix (probably Mal X Rottie) who doesn't look very much like a Mal, however when he starts taking it is obvious he is a Malamute.

·
Registered
683 Posts
One of our dogs is a German Shepherd/Great Dane, and at the current age of your dog, he weighed about 85 lbs. or so. He is now almost 6 years old and weighs 110 lbs. and is about 28in. at the shoulder. (Feel free to see his pics on my profile page.) Between the ages of about 6 months to 18 months, he was the clumsiest dog I have ever seen. :) With large dogs, it sometimes takes their brains a year or two to catch up with their bodies, lol.
I don't really see any Dane in your pup, but as someone mentioned, he may come from a long line of mixes and have Dane further back. Whatever he is, I like him! Enjoy your time with him, and best of luck in your quest to figure out his exact mix!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I see a Shepherd mix in the coloring and head, but maybe some Mal in there... the muzzle is a bit Mal-y. He's beautiful regardless! :)

Jen

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this thread is super old, but these dogs look just like my Echo and she's a Great Dane - Siberian Husky cross. I got to meet both her parents and know they both look like their breeds, and they don't have shepherd in them, as many people think Echo does. She's only 80 lbs, just a bit heavier than her dad(husky). I know none of the original posters will probably see this, but I hope this helps someone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts