Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been having some trouble with walks when my pup Winny would see other dogs and just always wanting to be just a few steps ahead of me not pulling but in front. So I went out and got the Gentle Leader and I must say it is "great!" now it has only been two days but the improvement is unbelievable. She still dose not like the idea of it but I do lol, never the less I don't have to worry about her hurting her self when she see's another dog I know it can't be good for her throat. And I knottiest she has been paying more attention to what I am doing.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
That's great. I like the Gentle Leader myself and I have some should I need them again. What I have come to prefer is the no-pull harness, though. It has the leash clip in the front of the dog's chest and prevents pulling, while leaving the dog's head free. My 80 lb Shepherd walks like a DREAM on it. :)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I prefer the Easy Walk also, the biggest reason being the dogs don't hate it! It's easier to put on (unless the dog has VERY long hair) and they don't fight it! It's also not risking injury to their neck like the GL.

I tried the GL on Sadie before the Easy Walk and now I always try the Easy Walk first, and if it's not enough, I try to condition the dog to the GL.

ETA: Your post says she's not pulling, but just walking in front. I don't see how the GL would help there. Is she lagging behind now? Probably because she hates walking with something on her face :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope she is walking next to me just how I like her to. I leave the lead loose enough that when she is next to me there is no tension but if she tries to walk ahead of me her head turns to me. I guess I use it as a reminder.

I almost went with the easy walk harness but after thinking about how strong willed she is I figured the GL was the best way for me to train her how I want her to walk and seeing how she stays aware of what I am doing she has been taking outside commands much better when other dogs are passing. I think it has been good up til now, day three

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Sounds like it's working then! :) I've had a few dogs who didn't even seem to notice it was on, but most don't like it. Looks like yours is in the middle but as long as it's working, good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts