Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow - tried one on Bella for the first time yesterday. What a difference!!! She didn't even TRY to pull. Why did I wait so long?

We even passed a couple little dogs and she stood there...ok, hackles were raised - but she didn't bark or try to lunge at them.

The only problem was she was pawing at it most of the way. I did make sure it was fitted properly according to the directions.

I just hope it keeps having this effect after the newness wears off and she doesn't say "eh, poo on you - I'm pulling anyway!"

I have consultation w/trainer tonight, maybe he can give some more quick pointers..?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use the Gentle Leader harness and love it! My golden pulled really bad and I was afraid he was gonna end up screwing up my leg (lots of artificial parts installed.)

We only used it a few times then gradually switched back to the flat collar. I did this by actually carrying two leashes for a while : one hooked to the front of the gentle leader harness and one to the flat collar. I tethered the harness lead to my belt and carried the flat collar lead so I could use the gentle leader for correction only and also ensuring that he couldn't yank me off my feet.

I rarely use it now. Once in a while I'll put it back on him just for a refresher course, but I've found that putting a regular harness on him has the same affect (now.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Our trainer calls it "power steering for dogs." I think this is a perfect definition for it. Fiona really dislikes hers constantly trying to get it off so we got her a similar leader that is a harness that keeps the connection at the front. She loves her harness and it works just as well without the irritation.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
My preference is the Halti brand. I like the design and safety perks of it better than the Gentle Leader.

I tell people to use two leashes at first. One attached to regular collar and one attached to the head collar. By doing it this way, less pulling on the face all the time till the dog gets used to the head collar.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wanted the GL to work for my dog, but she wouldn't take to it. It did make her stop pulling. But, It made her overly submissive and stressed out to the point that she did not want to go for walks anymore. I gave it a good long try, but when her face started getting bloody from rubbing the halter, I stopped using it. I believe it also had a part in making her freak out when she comes across other dogs on our walks. She developed leash aggression, maybe since she felt too confined and stressed while on the GL. I tried some other devices and like a harness that has a ring on the chest as well as on the back. You clip the leash to both rings and hold the leash at its middle.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Maybe I was using it wrong but I couldn't get her to leave it alone on her face and eventually just gave up on it. She also has an easy walk harness and a normal back-attaching puppia one and I have to say there isn't much difference between them as far as pulling. The only real difference is she usually gets the easy walk all tangled up and misaligned by the end of the walk. She's not too crazy though, just gets overstimulated and tries to push ahead sometimes. It's an issue I've been working on for ages with some improvement but not much. I wish all these management tools worked the wonders for me that they seem to for a lot of people.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bella was pawing it at first, but I didn't have it tight enough. After readjusting it she has left it alone. Good idea using the GL & flat collar at the same time! I'll have to start doing that after she has proven herself ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I tried the gentle leader with my golden and it made me depressed. He spent most of his time trying to get it off and it really just kinda broke his spirit..so I switched to the easy walk harness and that worked/works great with no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts