Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

Would like some general advise if possible.

Honey is just over three months (see picture [about two months]). We think she is a hunting dog. Not sure of the exact breed yet.
After some testing with foods and such, we found that her near constant sleeping was due to not taking her full quota of food each meal. After some advise from here, we added a little yoghurt to the food and now she eats the full portion in minutes. I am slowly reducing the amount of yoghurt.
Having the full amount has obviously made her more boisterous.
The main point about the need for training is this.
I have managed over some time to get her to understand not biting me. However, she continues to do so with the wife and my daughter. Mainly as they let her.
I have also noticed that the dog has started growling and nipping on walks now too. And another annoyance is she tries to eat almost everything she comes across on the street. I have started keeping her on a short leash, but still she does it. Can this be stopped some how (by-the-way, I live in Greece and the city streets here are terrible).
Our main issue however is the sleeping. Now she eats more she sleeps less, and even with 4 walks a day, she still wakes at 5.30. I am thinking this is for toilet purposes. But if you put her back in the kitchen (where she sleeps) she barks and cries. At 5.30 in a tenement, this is not really acceptable. The funny thing is we have a litter tray in there. Sometimes she uses (like this morning) and sometimes not. This doesn't alter the fact that she barks.
We need her (as we have noticed due to working at home) to be more independent.
It is hard as its a tiny flat, and I work at home.
Strangely, sometimes during the day she will go to her room and sleep alone with no problem. If you place her in there, she has an issue.
Is there anyway we can train her effectively at this age to do the following:
1) Stop eating things on the street.
2) Be more independent
3) Sleep longer (or is this a bladder thing?)

The point two is of greater concern, as in the autumn, I will teach in the college and not be in the house, and my wife will teach in the house and does want her crying, barking in her room with students here.

Thanks in advance. If there is anything else you need to know, please ask.

On the whole she is a great dog, but excessive attention is an issue.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
She looks like full or mostly Lab. Pretty dog.

If the wife and kids let her bite, she will continue to bite. Likely the nips will become more painful and the family will become more motivated to get it under control. Most of your concerns are pretty typical puppy stuff (especially retriever pups). Retrievers are notorious for eating anything that doesn't eat them first. Independence will increase with maturity, but you can help her develop by leaving her alone for very brief periods and then coming right back. Pups fear abandonment like all babies. When you go out of sight, they think you are gone forever.

Unfortunately,retrievers are serious attention whores. With proper socialization and training they can become self sufficient when left alone at home, but they are constantly up yer butt when you are there. They have to be right there when you are doing anything. I've completely given up on the hope that I will ever be able to look in a drawer or cabinet without having to look around a Golden Retriever head. It's just a fact of life now.

Your pup looks a lot like my Golden (who looked very Lab-like) at the same age. Your pup not having the little ear tufts says Lab to me. At least majority percentage Lab.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this!
I guessed as much

Here is a more recent image of Honey.
Yours could be Honey's sister, as she looks almost identical from about two weeks ago.

She looks like full or mostly Lab. Pretty dog.

If the wife and kids let her bite, she will continue to bite. Likely the nips will become more painful and the family will become more motivated to get it under control. Most of your concerns are pretty typical puppy stuff (especially retriever pups). Retrievers are notorious for eating anything that doesn't eat them first. Independence will increase with maturity, but you can help her develop by leaving her alone for very brief periods and then coming right back. Pups fear abandonment like all babies. When you go out of sight, they think you are gone forever.

Unfortunately,retrievers are serious attention whores. With proper socialization and training they can become self sufficient when left alone at home, but they are constantly up yer butt when you are there. They have to be right there when you are doing anything. I've completely given up on the hope that I will ever be able to look in a drawer or cabinet without having to look around a Golden Retriever head. It's just a fact of life now.

Your pup looks a lot like my Golden (who looked very Lab-like) at the same age. Your pup not having the little ear tufts says Lab to me. At least majority percentage Lab.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Yup, she's got a lot of lab in her. Cute puppy. The thing with labs is that they are very mouthy. Keep a LOT of chew toys lying around the house for her and when playing with her, keep some nearby. The second she opens her mouth to put her teeth on somebody, stick a toy in her mouth. She cant mouth you if her mouth is full. Your family must get on board with this or you're going to have a problem.
As for waking up early, I dont know why, but every puppy I've hever had has this internal alarm clock that wakes them up about that time. I've gotten used to being a morning person. You might try letting her sleep in your room with you, either in a crate or on a tie-down. Labs like their people and want to be near them almost all the time.
I always recommend that people keep their puppies leashed indoors while young and keep them with you, or on tie-down in a main room of the house where they can see you all and be part of the family, but yet cant get into trouble. If she's with you, chances are, she wont be barking and causing a fuss.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
The other notable characteristic of Labs is that EVERYTHING becomes a game. The elderly German woman next door has a zero tolerance policy for nonsense. I believe she was a Sergeant of the Prussian Grenadiers when she was younger. When Rusty comes up to her she swats him with a broom. Rusty is nonsense personified. Most people would be horrified to see someone striking at their dog, but this is Rusty's BEST GAME EVER! "YAY! Smack me with the broom! That's my favorite!"

You have to work pretty hard to hurt a retriever's feelings.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Sounds (and looks) like you have a puppy. Not to be harsh, but did you consider breed when choosing a dog? She is clearly retriever and with retriever comes a love of family. She wants to be with you and around you, and well, IMO to break her of that would be cruel. That is one of the main reason people get retrievers as pets, because they love their family so much!

However, you can help her by doing what Labmom suggested. Do not attempt to leave her for more than a minute at first. Leave her as if you were going to be gone for hours then return 1 minute later. Repeat. (about a thousand more times while SLOWLY increasing the time left alone).

I believe your puppy is probably waking up because she has to eliminate. You must take her out, its part of having a puppy. When you return, you can give her a nice kong filled with peanut butter or some other puzzle game to keep her occupied while you attempt to sleep. Don't expect too much sleep until she is at least a year old.

With the biting on walks, it sounds as if she is getting over stimulated. The best thing to do is to stop, ignore her and turn away. If this doesn't help, check out the threads as there are a lot of people who have the same issue as you.

Yup, retrievers will eat everything and anything in sight. You must practice due diligence when walking and try to avoid garbage. I know this is not always possible! She is still fairly young but you can begin training 'leave it' as well. Check out the threads for this as well.

You have a beautiful puppy and a beautiful country!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to be harsh, but did you consider breed when choosing a dog?
Hi
Just to clear up, as I didn't mention.
A friend and her children found 9 thrown into a forest, and left to die (they were about 4 weeks old)
We took one in, as I am that sort of person :)
She is a great dog. And is now part of the family.
I would take her to work if my boss would allow, but we have to train her to experience that when it happens in October.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Taking your dog to work can be a great thing. But it depends on the workplace and it really depends on the dog.

To start getting her use to the idea of being around different people/environments, take her to the local cafe while you get coffee or anywhere else really. If you are walking around running errands, take her with.

She is very cute.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just to chime in on the time of morning. Josie just started sleeping later and later on her own. She used to wake me up at 5:30 every morning but over the last 2 months it's become 8:30. We are second shifters though and she usually goes out at 2am for the last time at night even though we stay up till 3am or later. We also let her sleep with us and even though she still wakes up before the 11am I would prefer, she has learned to walk out to pee, right back in the house then wait at the bedroom door for me to let her in so we can go back to bed. Because I don’t play with her or give her any attention short of opening doors, she knows it isn’t a fun time, just a necessity. Oh yeah, she is also 5 months and I have found that so far she can last about 1 hr past the number of months she is. So at 2 months we were up every 3 hrs, at 5 we can have 6 hrs of sleep, 7 if she is really tired before bed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@LenaCara ~ Very cute dog :) Honey is just gone 3 months. Luckily she seemed to manage quite quickly to hold her wee. She can go from 11pm/12midnight, through to 5/6am most times, if she wees before bed. The issue is she doesn't go back to bed. I live in Greece as well, and the abundance of crates/cages, etc are not so wide spread. We have placed her in the kitchen, as it's small, dog proof (as much as possible) and has a close-able door.
I am hoping that the bladder thing will increase too. My wife mentioned sleeping on the bed with us, but I was also told that dogs shouldn't be left unattended until after one and a half years. And as my bedroom has two computers, clothing and multiple wire around, I don't think it is wise at present. We also live in a tenement so, no garden and neighbours that want to sleep :)
I am a morning person, but the shift is not shared and I am starting to get tired. Mainly as nobody else wakes until after 9am in the school holiday. I have to try and work in the house when I can. This is a strain.
@+two ~ I work at an art college, so not the best environment, apart from the people contact. Also, I found out, I can't take the dog on public buses here (stupid) and as I don't drive and it's a 6lm walk to work, not a real option at present.

Thanks everyone. I woke this morning ill as well. But the dog doesn't realise that :) And she was very naughty on her walk. She just turned up with her chew rope :)))) Always when I start to work!!! :)))))

1 - 11 of 11 Posts