Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy-doo

Fidget has had bad gas for quite a while (months - but I think she farts more lately) And I mean like clear an entire room rancid rotting horrendous gag-inducing gas. I post this because she just did another one and my stomach is almost turning sick while typing this. It can be quite embarrassing when company comes over...you quickly say "it was the dog!", lol. :redface:

What could be causing this??? Food? Treats? Worms? Something else??

Thanks!!!

PS: I should add that she chases her tail a lot and goes at her backside, I just assume it's her anal glands (since she has had issues with them in the past)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Howdy-doo

Fidget has had bad gas for quite a while (months - but I think she farts more lately) And I mean like clear an entire room rancid rotting horrendous gag-inducing gas. I post this because she just did another one and my stomach is almost turning sick while typing this. It can be quite embarrassing when company comes over...you quickly say "it was the dog!", lol. :redface:

What could be causing this??? Food? Treats? Worms? Something else??

Thanks!!!

PS: I should add that she chases her tail a lot and goes at her backside, I just assume it's her anal glands (since she has had issues with them in the past)
Does she get any probiotics? They're supposed to help with digestion and minimize gas.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um she is on Actr1um Holistic Diet for Puppies. It's the most affordable wheat and corn-free food we can find.

When should she be switched to adult dog food? I think there is more of a variety for adults :/

Analysis: (Copied and pasted)

Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherolis, A source of Vitamin E), Rice, Potatos, Chicken, Beet Pulp, Whole Dried Egg, Flaxseed, Salmon Meal, Salmon Oil (a natural source of dha), Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lecithin, Sodium Chloride, Kelp, Chicory root extract, cranberries, alfalfa, spinach, broccoli, sweet potatos, apples, blueberries, pears, bananas, vitamins and minerals (vitamin a, vitamin d3, vitamin e, niacin, vitamin c, inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, thamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta carotene, pyridoxine hydorchloride, folic acid, vitamin k, biotin, vitamin b12 supplement,zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, iron proteinate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, copper sulphate, manganese proteinate, manganese oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenate) citric acid, probiotics ( lactobacillus acidophillus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, bifidobacterium thermophilum) Digestive Enzymes, Yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, dried rosemary, cinnamon, turmeric, capsicum, chamomile, dandelion, paprika, garlic.

Garunteed analysis:

Crude protein (Min).............28.0%

Crude Fat (Min) .................18.0%

Crude Fibre (Max).................3.0%

Moisture (Max)....................10.0%

Ash (Max)...........................10.0%

Calcium (Min).........................1.5%

Phosphorous (Min)...................1.0%

Omega 3 (Min)........................0.40%

Omega 6 (Min)........................2.50%

DHA (Min)..............................0.10%

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Um she is on Actr1um Holistic Diet for Puppies. It's the most affordable wheat and corn-free food we can find.

When should she be switched to adult dog food? I think there is more of a variety for adults :/

Analysis: (Copied and pasted)

Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherolis, A source of Vitamin E), Rice, Potatos, Chicken, Beet Pulp, Whole Dried Egg, Flaxseed, Salmon Meal, Salmon Oil (a natural source of dha), Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lecithin, Sodium Chloride, Kelp, Chicory root extract, cranberries, alfalfa, spinach, broccoli, sweet potatos, apples, blueberries, pears, bananas, vitamins and minerals (vitamin a, vitamin d3, vitamin e, niacin, vitamin c, inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, thamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta carotene, pyridoxine hydorchloride, folic acid, vitamin k, biotin, vitamin b12 supplement,zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, iron proteinate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, copper sulphate, manganese proteinate, manganese oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenate) citric acid, probiotics ( lactobacillus acidophillus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, bifidobacterium thermophilum) Digestive Enzymes, Yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, dried rosemary, cinnamon, turmeric, capsicum, chamomile, dandelion, paprika, garlic.

Garunteed analysis:

Crude protein (Min).............28.0%

Crude Fat (Min) .................18.0%

Crude Fibre (Max).................3.0%

Moisture (Max)....................10.0%

Ash (Max)...........................10.0%

Calcium (Min).........................1.5%

Phosphorous (Min)...................1.0%

Omega 3 (Min)........................0.40%

Omega 6 (Min)........................2.50%

DHA (Min)..............................0.10%
That food's got a lot of grains/starches, which I know give my dog horrid gas (she's a Chihuahua). I'm not bashing foods with grains, it's just been my experience. She gets VERY bloated and stinky whenever she manages to snatch up something with a grains in it. I always know when she's gotten into one of my friends' dog's food, lol!

The yogurt may help (I've heard it's just as effective as supplements), but I'm also more comfortable giving actual digestive supplementation. You can find it in many pets stores or even order it online.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Aww yes, dog farts :doh:
Mine arent especially gassy, but when they do let one rip, oh lordy! It's especially delightful when I'm in a crowded public place and ET cuts a super stinky one. :redface: THAT is embarressing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My dog gets a stomach upset when he is stressed, and can clear a room with his farts! Is your dog in training, new environment, new people?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Aww yes, dog farts :doh:
Mine arent especially gassy, but when they do let one rip, oh lordy! It's especially delightful when I'm in a crowded public place and ET cuts a super stinky one. :redface: THAT is embarressing.

Ah yes, I always blame it on the dogs, too. ;) I don't think anyone ever believes me though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Rotties are notorious for bad farts lol. I never heard a dog fart till I had Rick & Ziva. OMG can they clear a room. Not to be outdone, Casey will chime in, but hers are SBDs. I remember at at training class once someone's dog let one go, and I tell you the entire room was filled with an awful smell. The trainer just turned and smiled and said "It's nice having a room full of dogs". We all just laughed. The best part is the look on the dog's face. It's like "hey, what's the big deal? Didn't you ever smell gas before". Too funny!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dog gets a stomach upset when he is stressed, and can clear a room with his farts! Is your dog in training, new environment, new people?
Nope. She's been like this for quite a while. Usually it's when she's content and sleeping at your feet/on her chair...

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've always heard that short-snouted breeds are prone to being, ahem, farty. Every pug and bulldog I've ever met could clear a room in a few seconds with their farts. My dainty little shih tzu furbaby sure can clear a room and I doubt it is the blue buffalo puppy chow or liver treats that I feed her. It is probly just a result of her having to breathe through her mouth more, just like humans get gas when they gulp in too much air when eating fast.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Last fall Kenda caught giardia and her farts violated the Geneva Convention's ban on chemical weapons. That said, I'd have been happy if toxic gas had been her only symptom (diarrhea, abdominal cramping and generally unhappy puppy.) It's unlikely your dog has giardia because she's not sick enough, but if tinkering with diet doesn't solve the problem it might be worth a vet visit to rule out other parasites and protozoa.

ETA: Now we don't hike the lakeshore trail after they lower the lakes for the winter. Fool me once...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Usually it's from the food. Carminative foods also called gas producing foods are major cause of flatulence. Sweet potatoes are examples of carminative foods. You may provide Gas Edema for the dog to eliminate all the gas in the digestive tract of the dog.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts