Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve two large very active mixed breeds (sheepdog/setter/poodle). They’re 18 months old.
They’ve turned the - relatively large - garden into a winter mud-wallow with their playing (and digging).
The house is then being destroyed with mud being carried in. (I don’t mind a reasonable amount but this is off the charts).
Any suggestions for an inexpensive, durable solution? They’d dig & rip through artificial grass etc

·
Super Moderator
2,930 Posts
Have you tried laying down straw? You'd probably have to replace it regularly, but it's super cheap in most places, and isn't likely to cut up paw pads or cause issues if it's chewed on like gravel or mulch sometimes can. It'll probably still track in some, but be easier to clean than mud. If your dogs aren't inclined to chew on or swallow rocks, something like a finer grade of crushed limestone might be a good option. I've been to dog parks that use it - the smaller pieces are less likely to injure paw pads and it's supposed to be decent at managing urine smells.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Put down some straw, or invest in some grass seeds (if grass will grow). Keep the dogs in the front yard while the grass grows.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Fence it.

Just laying straw on the ground my invite them to dig and roll even more.

You can also try laying 2"x4" welded fence on the ground (you will need logs or concrete blocks to anchor it) so that digging and even walking on it is less fun. You can lay straw on top of the wire too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It won't fix the yard, but I've taught my dog to spin on a highly absorbent mat before coming inside. I also knew someone who had the dog walk through a kiddie pool first, then onto the mat.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
For the winter, use straw (not hay). Then, for spring, get the hardiest type of grass or ground cover that is suitable to your region-- most places have an agricultural office that can make suggestions or contact a garden center. Use a temporary fence like a construction silt fence to divide the garden in half. Seed and straw one half until the ground cover takes good growth, not allowing the dog to run in that area in the meantime. Then flip which side they have free access to and get it growing.

You will probably need to overseed the ground now and then during the growing season for any areas they repeatedly track on (usually fenceline areas and near the house)

Digging is harder to deal with than just foot traffic damage to grass. Some people use a designated digging area like a sandbox to just allow the dogs to dig but limit their destruction.

I am of course assuming that you mean yard area, rather than vegetable patch or allotment

1 - 6 of 6 Posts