Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any new games I could teach my dog? We already do hide-and-seek and find the treats.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How's his 'leave it'? You could participate in the (what I am told is a 'thing') 'Leave It Challenge' & get a picture to post on social media. 😏
Z's leave it is actually pretty good, I hadn't heard of the challenge though, I'll check it out :)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Look at the tricks list for Do More With Your Dog. Lots of inspiration there.

Also, obedience, rally, nosework, tracking, and parkour come to mind.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look at the tricks list for Do More With Your Dog. Lots of inspiration there.

Also, obedience, rally, nosework, tracking, and parkour come to mind.
I will look at that, thanks.
But the second part brings me to another question. She already is working on competitive agility. She also has some trick do titles. She seems to be willing and able to do more, but would it be too much to add in something new, like nosework or parkour?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I will look at that, thanks.
But the second part brings me to another question. She already is working on competitive agility. She also has some trick do titles. She seems to be willing and able to do more, but would it be too much to add in something new, like nosework or parkour?
Lots of dogs train in multiple sports. If you try something, and it doesn't look like she's having fun, then move on to something else. As an FYI, though, nosework is very tiring. My dogs usually sleep a couple of hours (or more) after we've been training.

Reactions: 3GSD4IPO and Kensi

·
Registered
166 Posts
We do the hide and seek thing with our dog too and she loves it. Just recently we started putting treats or food in a empty and dry 16oz. ice tea bottle. She paws at it at smacks it all over the house trying to get the treats out. We make a big deal out of it when she gets one out.
She even paws at it when it's empty.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
Yeah, the only time I'd worry trying multiple different sports is if they're very closely related, eg odor recognition (find this specific odor out of a selection of odors) and nosework (figure out where in the room/search space the target odor is), AND you want to do one competitively. If you just want to do both for fun and enrichment and don't care too much if it leads to some sloppy work, and your dog isn't super sensitive to frustration and might stress over not being sure which job they're doing, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
What Day Sleepers said.

Once you up the Ante and get really serious about competing in one sport you may need to drop other things to retain competitive edge in your chosen sport.. especially if you plan to go far.

If that is not the case, go and have fun.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The cup game, three cups, hide a treat under one.

I play a game where I scatter toys and ask for specific ones

Find "it" (I ask again, for a specific toy, but the toy is out of sight, unlike the other game)

Find a person! Teach your dog the names of people willing to participate. Deacon LOVES finding my sister.

Tricks are also a game overall.. Put your known tricks in random patterns. Very enriching!

I also throw a bunch of crap on the floor and ask deacon to just grab stuff, I throw new things in every once in awhile, so he gets used to the weight, texture, ect of new items

That's all I really do with my dog, besides puzzle type games. I have to use my imagination to come up with a new game to add to our existing ones.. Today I rolled up treats in a towel and deacon unrolled the towel to get food.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts