Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is about 9 weeks old now, and I am not sure what games to play with her. She would rather bite my clothes, toes, or fingers than play with her toys. Everytime she does do this, I replace whatever she is biting with a toy. She defintely does not care for her ball at this point, so it is hard to play that way. She gets bored so easily! Anyone have any good, non-agressive games to play with a small breed puppy?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Are you teaching her basic obedience commands? Sit, drop, stay, stand, come, etc. There's lots you can teach a young puppy. All of the above plus tricks shake hands, high 5, roll over. Wait until she's 1 y/o to do beg, crawl, weave poles for agility, jumping.
You're doing the right thing by distracting her with a toy when she bites or llet out an 'ouch' & don't play with her for a minute or 2.

Puppies aren't born knowing what toys are for, they have to be shown.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Tag sounds awesome.

I'm going to have to think about how to teach Wally that game...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Hide n seek is fun as is Find it (finds objects instead of you). Follow the leader is a fun way to practice obedience skills and to even start on new behaviors. Play it like you do the children's game except (to start) the pup is on leash and, just like the kid's game, you do the behavior you want the pup to do. At first you'll have to assist the pup but once they catch on, it's a lot or fun and can even be done off lead eventually (in a safe area). A more advanced game for later is a doggy version of Red Light Green Light.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our dog wasn't all that interested in her toys until we brought her a kong, she loves it and it a good distraction when she is trying to bite anything she shouldn't. You can also hide them so they have to fond them.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
What's a kong?!
A Kong is a toy that has a hole in the bottom you can stuff food inside. The dog sniffs the food and will try to get it out.

It's self-rewarding (each piece of food) and it helps occupy their mind and use physical energy because the kong will roll around, move away, spin from the licks and the dog will have to use his paws to hold it and figure it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A Kong is a toy that has a hole in the bottom you can stuff food inside. The dog sniffs the food and will try to get it out.

It's self-rewarding (each piece of food) and it helps occupy their mind and use physical energy because the kong will roll around, move away, spin from the licks and the dog will have to use his paws to hold it and figure it out.
That's awesome. I am getting one of those babies!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts