Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on this for the past few days; it's a gallery of various old pictures of dog breeds from 1897 to 1915.

Some examples:

English Bulldog from 1902

Maltese from 1897

Great Dane from 1897

I didn't upload pics of all the breeds that were in the books (I skipped most of the terriers and hunting breeds), so if there's one you'd like to see, just ask and I'll add them to the gallery if I find them.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
wow! that looks like a lot of work. good job :)

i wouldn't even recognize some of those breeds now. crazy!

i would love to see an old picture of a sammy :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It would be interesting to see some of the breeds that have changed the most over the decades.

Thanks for posting! :)

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
the dane looks prity much the same maybe a little shorter in leg but not much. it's just that we crop the ears longer now adays

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Wow, some of those are pretty different.

I think the Whippet's ears might be cropped.. wow, they look a lot different. The IG Looks like a Chihuahua with legs too.

I also think the cuts on the Poodles are hideous.

The Poms look so much more Spitzy than they do now.. I like them!

And the Chins looks almost exactly the same.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The IG Looks like a Chihuahua with legs too.
That's what I thought, too.

I didn't realize that American Eskimos were White Poms. I suppose I've never been too interested in either breed but that's still pretty interesting.

Also, I like the comments about the Bedlington's grooming :D So ironic...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow, the great danes look alot like pit bulls do today. I think they're heads are different now, and the ears are cropped shorter.

The chow chows look COMPLETELY different now then they used to. I prefer the "old" look. I think most chow chows now look more like furry sharpeis.

Thanks for posting those!!!!

Got any samoyeds??

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
The german shepherd is very pretty...

ETA: I like the look of the bull terrier MUCH better too.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
any Borders?...i've seen some and it seems they haven't changed much...at least not the working stock, the show stock doesn't even resemble the BC IMO

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I would have loved to see some Rottweiler's. :) I think the Great Dane looks like a Presa Canario.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
You won't find any show quality aussies in black and white lol they've only been breeing aussies for the show ring for 35 years

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
From reading the books, Pomeranians were originally a bigger size, then they split off into 'Toy Pomeranians' and 'Pomeranians'. Not sure if the bigger ones went extinct or if they changed the name to something else. I've been skimming for pictures and not reading very much in detail.
I also think the cuts on the Poodles are hideous.
They didn't have clippers, conditioner, blowdryers, or any other advanced 'coat care' tools back then. They probably had to carve them out using scissors . It must've taken forever. What I found interesting was that corded poodles were so common back then, that in almost all the books there's a picture of one along with the 'curly' style.
i wouldn't even recognize some of those breeds now. crazy!

i would love to see an old picture of a sammy
Some Samoyeds are up. There aren't many references to them, except about how they were being used in arctic expeditions. They didn't seem very widespread back then. In some books there are only drawings of generic 'northern breeds' or 'Esquimaux Dogs', and no photos. I may upload some of the nicer drawings later.

Yes, I am a huge nerd. I love this kind of historical stuff. =)

any Borders?...i've seen some and it seems they haven't changed much...at least not the working stock, the show stock doesn't even resemble the BC IMO
There are only Rough and Smooth Collies. There are some photos of 'working collies' herding sheep that look sort of like BC (the pictures are small and blurry), but I guess they weren't a 'proper' show breed, so they don't talk about them much.

I would have loved to see some Rottweilers.
There aren't any, actually! I was surprised. But they were very rare until the 1930s, apparently. You can really see the family resemblance in the old Dobermans, though.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Ah, true.. didn't think about that about the Poodles.. none of that nice convenient stuff back then LOL

(though it stands, I hate the cut! I prefer just trimming them over chopping the hair off a few parts of their legs)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Oh yes, I know the Rotties were rare back then. It was a good thing though. Popularity has taken it's toll on this magnificent and Nobel breed. I will have to dig up some old shots of them. I have one somewhere of a dog hooked to a cart. It still looks much the same as the dogs now, though not as polished.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I love looking at historical photos, esp. ones related to daily life.

GSD experts - is it my imagination or is the hind end on the GSD a lot higher than the standard today?

And the noses on the Pekingese don't seem nearly as pushed in. Andthe bloodhounds don't seem as wrinkled.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts